Current and Past Research on Civil Gang Injunctions. Karen Hennigan University of Southern California email@example.com. What is a Civil Gang Injunction? (CGI). A gang can be sued in civil court when members have persistently engaged in a pattern of criminal and nuisance activities.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
University of Southern California
Funded by Haynes Foundation
Funded by National Institute of Justice
Funded by National Science Foundation
a) safety zone
b) adjacent RDs
c) neighboring RDs
- Primary: Safety zone for CGI implemented between two waves of the survey
- Control1: Similar to primary, no CGI
- Second: Area unexpectedly included in safety zone
- Control2: Similar to second, no CGI
- Prior: Safety zone of CGI implemented 5 yrs prior
- Key measures included visibility of gang members, gang intimidation, fear of crime, victimization, neighborhood efficacy, collective efficacy
Neigh 1 – Gang injunction plus gang intervention
Neigh 2 – Gang intervention (no CGI)
Neigh 3 – Gang injunction ( weak gang intervention)
Engaging youth hanging out in the target areas
Offering a $20 incentive to participate
– Within individuals:
Gang identity is weaker than conventional identity.
Gang-affiliates report weaker group identity and less trust of ingroup than affiliates of other antisocial groups.
In the end, injunctions may be most useful in terms of the role they may play in more comprehensive approaches to reducing gang crime, intimidation of community residents and the hold gangs have on our youth.