Why Pre-Rigor Meat?. Bloom color shelf-life enhanced with rapid chilling (CO2) of meat pre-rigor product appears leaner main reason pre-rigor pork is used commercially. Increased Water-Holding Capacity (WHC)
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Pre-Rigor Meat Processing Animal Science 555.02
2. Why Pre-Rigor Meat? Bloom color shelf-life
enhanced with rapid chilling (CO2) of meat pre-rigor
product appears leaner
main reason pre-rigor pork is used commercially.
Increased Water-Holding Capacity (WHC) & Firmness
ability to retain water during cutting, grinding, cooking, chewing, etc.
3. Rigor Mortis stiffness of death
convert muscle to meat
muscles contract – with no relaxation
delay of onset – time for pre-rigor (hot) boning/salting
pH decline from 7.0 to 5.6
reach iso-electric point
5. Delay of Onset of Rigor Mortis
6. Pre-Rigor Processing Prevent “roll back” at grinder.
Counter flow in barrel causes smearing damage to hot meat.
Reduce auger speed.
Increase number of cutting blades.
Change pitch & reduce clearance between auger and barrel.
7. Pre-Rigor Processing Rapid chilling using CO2
salt and CO2 in contact with hot meat within 90 minutes postmortem
8. Fresh Sausage Links
9. Postmortem Effects on WHC Net charge effect
repulsion or attraction of magnetic poles
13. Pre-rigor Sausage Lab Paired pork shoulders obtained from slaughter line after final wash.
One shoulder deboned within 90 minutes post mortem.
Coarse ground, w/2% salt, 3% water & CO2 added ASAP.
16. Matching shoulder allowed to complete rigor process (24 hrs.), before deboning and adding salt.
Both batches final ground, spices and seasonings added, product linked, trayed, overwrapped, and frozen