Exercise for Unit 3. 1. The _____ expressed his great disappointment with all the candidates. A. interview B. interviewer C. interviewee D. applicant
1. The _____ expressed his great disappointment with all the candidates.
A. interview B. interviewer C. interviewee D. applicant
2. The company is_____to sharpen its competitive edges for a larger share of the market.Which of the following is not acceptable?
A. endeavoring B. straining C. striving D. exerting
3. I don’t wish to ______in any way, but may I ask if it is true that you have sold your old house?
A. pry B. survey C. impose D. violate
4.Before I could stop her, she____her secrets out.
A. remarked B. exploded C. uttered D. blurted
5. It’s such a fine day and the lake____in the sunshine.
A. squeezes B. sprinkles C. sprays D. sparkles
6. Salespersons often try to learn about the needs of the_____buyers to make themselves more persuasive.
A. perspective B. prospective C. preventive D. restrictive
7. They exerted themselves day and night to meet the ____.
A. deadline B. deadlock C. death-blow D. decade
8. British gentlemen rank as the most ____men in the world.
A. compassionate B. intimate C. courteous D. sympathetic
9. The responsible entrance guard____anyone who acts suspiciously.
A. inquires B. grills C. explores D. probes
10. I must go now. ____, if you want that book, I’ll bring it next time.
A. Accidentally B. Similarly C. Accordingly D. Incidentally
11. The businessman lives a simple life, but he makes _____donations to the people in need.
A. generous B. genuine C. lucrative D. beneficial
12. Some young people want to_____everything new, but just can’t afford the time and energy.
A. take away B. take a crack at C. get in D. come at
13. An individual bird can____the call of its own species.
A. acknowledge B. check C. identify D. curb
14. Up to now, they have only discussed the issue from a western ____.Which of the following is not suitable?
A. perspective B. standpoint C. opinion D. viewpoint
15. The journalist____her interview with the victim with a donation.
A. brought up B. picked up C. followed up D. held up
16. “ Hello,” he extended his greeting with a broad____
A. laugh B. smile C. giggle D. chuckle
17. The ancient village, picturesque beyond anyone’s____dreams,
has drawn millions of visitors from both at home and abroad
A. greatest B. wildest C. boldest D. biggest
18. When the old man____his last will,his strong accent made it really hard for his lawyer to take down every word.
A. dictated B. devastated C. despised D. detected
19. You must________before you deliver a speech.
A. put in a word B. make plans
C. cheer up D. do your homework
20. ____,“Once bitten, twice shy.”
A. As I see it B. In my opinion
C. From my standpoint D. As the saying goes
21. Once you decide to ____what you believe is right, never give up halfway.
A. pay off B. retreat from C. go after D. press for
22. The privately-run factory endeavored to repay society by ____
A. dragging on B. pressing on C. drawing on D. taking on
23. This new house is too expensive, quite out of my price_____.
A. list B. offer C. bracket D. brand
24. He is hunting for a job with a monthly salary in the neighborhood of 5000 yuan.
A. nearby B. below C. above D. approximately
25. We’ve seen a short excerpt from the film”Central Station”.
A. plot B. outline C. abstract D. clip
26. You may make embarrassing mistakes during your contact with your foreign business associates.
A. workmates B. colleagues C. partners D. companions
27. Hundreds of students are fascinated by her elaborate patterns and color schemes.
A. superficial B. obscure C. intricate D. transparent
28. Edward’s wife has found him her most benign, her best company all these years.
A. considerate B. kindly C. optimistic D. caring
29. The management of the enterprise failed to communicate with the workforce, causing a decline in the productivity.
A. government B. executive C. manager D. administration
30. The invention of the computer has made a difference to the way
of life, work and entertainment.
A. obstructed B. changed C. hampered D. hindered
Answer: 1-5 BDADD 6-10 BACBD 11-15 ABCCC
16-20 BBADD 21-25 CDCDD 26-30 CCBDB