Businessworld in cooperation with Pearl2 Sofitel Philippine Plaza, February 22, 2008. Marketing Leadership. Willy Arcilla. Marketing is Not Just About . . . Selling Special Price-Off Coupons in K/A Advertising Publicity Stunts Celebrity Endorsements
Businessworld in cooperation with Pearl2
Sofitel Philippine Plaza, February 22, 2008
Marketing is a Way of Life – a Philosophy of Doing Business
“Marketing is very important; in fact, far too important to be left to Marketing people.”
F1 Pitstop Crew 7-12 seconds
Marketing’s raison d’etre is to enhance the value proposition of a company’s brands in order to convince target consumers to prefer one’s brands over the competition, influence their attitude and drive their behavior.
“What’s in it for me?”
“Why should I switch?”
3. Take it to the Next Level –
4. Build or Reinforce Brand Equity w/ Powerful Marketing Programs and Excellent Communications Campaigns, Building Upon Strong Brand Positioning Statements which are Important, Specific & Unique to Consumers that are Anchored on Simple yet Powerful Insights
6. Accept That You Will Have to Relentlessly “Do More with Less”
7. Learn to Think Creatively so You Can Offer Creative Solutions to a Variety of Business/Marketing Issues
8. Prioritize your options, applying principles of economics (optimum allocation of scarce resources). You can’t afford to or physically do everything simultaneously. Pick your battles and be decisive.
9. Take Calculated Risks & Learn from Mistakes
10. Expand your Horizons.
11. Bring Out The Best in Your People to Enable Them to Bring Out the Best in Your Brands.
12. After Mastering your Profession in Marketing, Learn to Integrate & Synthesize All the Components of the Business, e.g., Sales & Distribution, R&D and Manufacturing, Finance & Accounting, Purchasing & Logistics.
Positive Outlook & Perseverance
Participative & People-Oriented
12 P’s of Marketing6 P’s of Marketing Man
5. We need to shift to High Gear. Take Pinoy Entrepreneurship to a Whole New Altitude.
8. Think positive.
9. Consider franchising – 90% success rate.
10.Two kinds of people – Swindler & Sucker.
#1 Filipino Brand Overseas
Don’t Overlook Halal Market Estimated at US$600B!
3. Digital Cameras
But When Will We See Higher-Value Filipino Brands Beyond Processed Food & Drinks, Fastfood & Fashion Apparel?
Eduardo San Juan - Filipino Inventor: Mechanical engineer, San Juan worked on the team that invented the Lunar Rover or Moon Buggy. He is considered the primary designer.
In 1971, the Rover was used in the Apollo 12 landing to explore the Moon.
Daniel Dingel - Water-Powered Car or Water-Powered Hoax?: Filipino inventor, Daniel Dingel designs cars that run on water. The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported that Daniel Dingel built a water-fueled automobile engine as early as 1969. Dingel has no patents and many members of the science community feel that his water-powered car is a hoax. However, Daniel Dingel has demonstrated his car without any technical papers or explanation as to how it works. And if it does work, it would be a fantastic invention.
Daniel Dingel - Claims: Daniel Dingel claims his engine has a chamber that breaks apart water molecules to produce combustible hydrogen. Electricity from a 12-volt car battery is used to split the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen components, with the hydrogen then used to power the engine.
SplashManufacturingFilipinos Have the Entrepreneurial Spirit; We Must Take it Beyond the “20th Century”
“Teach a nation to fish and you feed a nation for a lifetime.”
16 years old UP BS Physics 2007 Summa Cum Laude
“We have upon us a knowledge-based economy … and nothing could be of greater strategic value to a nation than the ability to generatenew knowledge & technologies if we don’t want to be the modern-day ‘hewers-of-wood’ and ‘bearers-of-water’ of a 21st century global economy.”
Dr. Rey Vea President Mapua Institute of Technology