Some notes about liquid Hydrogen target. 1.How it operates 2.Modification 2007 3.Target length, empty mode 4.Status. The full liquid H2/D2 target system consist of : 1. The H2 /D2 gas storage tank of 1.0 m3 , located in the vicinity of tagger.
1.How it operates
3.Target length, empty mode
1. The H2 /D2 gas storage tank of 1.0 m3 , located in the vicinity of tagger.
2. The helium-4 gas compressor, in a blue painted box located close to the liquefier and it is connected to it.
3. The liquefier, it is a rectangular aluminium box located about 1.8 meters upstream from the centre of the Crystal Ball. It had the “cold-head” and the storage reservoir (“condenser”) for the liquid H2 .
4. The liquid H2 transfer line which connects the condenser with the target cell.
5. The target cell, located in the centre of the CB.
P targ =1400 /1080 mbar
P vac =5x10-7mbar
The transfer line and the target cell are located in the beam pipe, which must have good vacuum, about 3x10-7 mbar. The five components of the liquid H2 /D2 target form a closed system. At the start, all hydrogen is gaseous, a pressure is typically 1400 mbar. When in operation, about 25% of this is liquefied and the pressure in the system drops to typically 1080 mbar. The temperature (pressure, density) of the liquid H2 /D2 is maintained by the delicate balance of cooling by addition of cold liquid and evaporation by two heaters which are turned on and off by the pressure and temperature control system. One heater is located on the condenser and the other on the target cell.
Monitoring of the temperature and pressure at various places is done by a dedicated computer which is presently located in the tagger vicinity.
In order to pump target we should interrupt continue it with full target in a few minutes any moment as we need.
measurement for 1 hour , expert should be duty during “empty run” and we can continue to work with full target only in 6 - 8 hours. Therefore this method will be able to use at the end of run if we need “real empty target”.
The liquid H2/D2 target worked for 6068 hours on the MAMI beam with CB and TAPS for A2 experiments during 2004-2008 (2004,1/2 of 2005, 2007).
> 70 cycles “cooling down – warming”,
every cycle is stress for target cell. Now we have “cold leak” and should find and fix