1. What 4 things caused the deaths of millions of people in Africa? 2. __________’s government is a _________and ________ government and gained independence from Great Britain in _______. West and Central Africa Economics. ECONOMIES.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. What 4 things caused the deaths of millions of people in Africa?
2. __________’s government is a _________and ________ government and gained independence from Great Britain in _______.
Most African countries have been through various economic systems due to colonialism.
1. Originally used traditional trading methods.
2. Colonialism brought the introduction of market economies/(free enterprise) – this is an economy where business owners compete in the market with little government interference.
3. Independence led to command economies (government-controlled).
4. Currently most African countries have returned to market economies.
MOST AFRICANS ARE FARMERS – SUBSISTENCE FARMERS - GROW FOOD MAINLY FOR THE FAMILY AND NOT TO SELL FOR PROFIT.
COTE D’IVOIRE – LARGEST PRODUCER/EXPORTER OF CACAO BEANS (USED TO MAKE CHOCOLATE)
AFRICA IS RICH IN MINERALS – ALMOST EVERY MINERAL IN THE WORLD CAN BE FOUND ON THIS CONTINENT
-MANGANESE – USED IN THE PRODUCTION OF STEEL, IRON, STAINLESS STEEL (KITCHEN SINKS,
-URANIUM – USED IN NUCLEAR POWER
MANY AFRICANS EARN THEIR LIVING WORKING IN THE MINES THAT PRODUCE THESE MINERALS.
Diamonds are symbols of wealth, elegance and love around the world. Since the late 1800s diamonds have been one of the most important resources that can be found in Africa. Major production is found in many West African countries like Botswana, The Democratic Republic of Congo, Namibia, and Angola, But in several African nations, they have been a means to power, a reason to terrorize millions of innocent civilians, and may have even helped finance some of the world's most brutal terrorists.
Some diamonds have helped fund devastating civil wars in Africa, destroying the lives of millions.
These are called Conflict or Blood Diamonds.
Conflict diamonds are those sold in order to fund armed conflict and civil war.
Experts claim that the illegal sale of blood diamonds has produced billions of dollars to fund civil wars and other conflicts in various African nations, including Sierra Leone (where conflict ended in 2002), Angola, Liberia, Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast) and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Most of the time, the people behind these civil wars and rebellions oppose legitimate governments and only want control over the area's lucrative diamond industry.
For example, in Sierra Leone a group known as the Revolutionary United Front killed, threatened, and even cut off the arms of people living and working in diamond villages until they were able to take control of the mines in the area. Then the group moved on to the next village to do more of the same, effectively terrorizing the entirety of Sierra Leone, to the point that many people fled their homes in fear. All in all, roughly 20,000 innocent people suffered bodily mutilation, 75,000 were killed and 2 million fled Sierra Leone altogether. According to National Geographic News, all of these conflicts combined have displaced millions and resulted in the deaths of more than 4 million people.