Counter-reformation. The Catholics Answer Back. Counter-reformation Guided Reading Answers. 1. What were three goals that Catholic leaders wanted to achieve with the Counter-reformation? 1 . Foster a more spiritual outlook 2 . Clarify the doctrines (what they believe) for their believers
The Catholics Answer Back
Counter-reformation Guided Reading Answers
2. What three tactics were used to keep Catholics from becoming influenced by other religious beliefs?
2. Brought the Spanish Inquisition to Rome – involved cruel punishments for heretics (ie. Burning at the stake).- Served as a warning to Catholics.
3. Established the Index of Forbidden Books – banned books; This
lasted until the Second Vatican Council in 1966.
4. What four reforms of the Catholic Church came out of the Council of Trent?
2. Tightened the discipline of the clergy
3. Emphasized the need for ceremonies – “God deserves to be worshipped with splendor.”
4. God granted forgiveness ONLY through the church. – People must depend on the clergy.
5. Did the Counter-Reformation help define the Catholic faith for believers?
6. List four results of the Counter-reformation
1. Better educated priests
2. Ignatius Loyola organized the Jesuits into a group of Catholic monks promoting christianity, education and charity.
3. Education became important for everyone
4. Increased the power of national governments and decreased the power of the Pope.
7. How did Jesuits feel about education?
STRONGLY – University of Notre Dame, Loyola University, etc.
Where these places are in the REFORMATION