Stella Lindsey. U.S. HISTORY 202, 1865-Present Reconstruction: Reuniting a Divided Nation. Reconstruction: 1863-1877 Rebuilding a Nation. What is going on in Washington?. What is going on in the South?. Civil War and Reconstruction raised major questions:. Who is an American?
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
U.S. HISTORY 202, 1865-Present Reconstruction: Reuniting a Divided Nation
1. Constitutional Liberty (Contract
2. Human Equality
1. States have no right to leave the
2. Slavery must be abolished
What did the war settle?
QUESTIONS LEFT UNANSWERED…..
How will the nation deal with 4 million freedmen?
How will the Confederacy become part of the United States again?
African Americans fought in the Civil War. The movie, Glory, featuring Morgan Freeman, tells the story of a black battalion.
Civil War Monument,
4. Radical Reconstruction, 1866-
Who was Andrew Johnson and how did he become Lincoln’’s vice president?
RADICAL RECONSTRUCTION(Congressional Reconstruction)
1. Passed 14th Amendment, the first constitutional definition of citizenship.****
2. Introduced a very strict plan for readmitting the Southern states to the Union
3. Set up 5 military districts in the South with military governors
4. Wanted to give freedmen land
4. Passed the 15th Amendment—which declared citizens could not be denied the right to vote based on “race, color, or previous condition of servitude.”
What ‘s been going on in the South?
The South in Reconstruction
16 African Americans elected to
None was ever elected governor
Blacks held 10-15% of state offices
United States Senator from Mississippi during Reconstruction
African American US Senator from Mississippi during Reconstruction. Lived and farmed in Bolivar County near Rosedale, MS.
Why did the Mississippi Delta have a lower rate of sharecropping than other areas of the South in 1880?
Tenant farming or sharecropping increased dramatically in the South during Reconstruction and the years that followed.
Poor whites and African Americans turned to sharecropping during Reconstruction.
THE GRANT ADMINISTRATION
A general for the Union army during the Civil War, he is considered a military genius by many historians.
Grant’s Presidency was riddled with scandals.
A bankrupt and dying Grant writing his memoirs.
THE ABANDONMENT OF RECONSTRUCTION
THE “NEW” SOUTH?
In 1890s there was an average of 187 lynchings each year.
80% took place in the South.
1. Founder and president of Tuskegee Institute in Alabama
2. Embraced education and vocational training as the path for black improvement
3. He delivered a speech in Georgia in 1895 in which he said blacks should not “agitate for their rights.” He supported self improvement, education, and economic gains (jobs) as way to gain social, political and economic power in society.