The Semicolon and Colon: How to use them correctly and add elegance and pizzazz to your writing so as to impress your English teachers!. The semicolon functions in 2 different ways:. It connects two independent clauses (or complete sentences with subject + verb/predicate.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
How to use them correctly and add elegance and pizzazz to your writing so as to impress your English teachers!
In the following samples, notice how the two clauses are linked by the semicolon, followed by a conjunctive adverb (however, thus, therefore, nevertheless, etc.)
2. The other use for the semicolon is to separate items in a complicated series that already contains commas.
(The colon is used for these tasks!)
2. To introduce a list or an example: complicated series that already contains commas.
- My favorite sports are: football, soccer, and tennis.
- Henry has no fear of: heights, speed, or temperature extremes.
- Carrie has visited several developing countries, such as: Guatemala, Haiti, and Somalia.
- By the end of the play, Macbeth sees all of life as merely: “a tale told by an idiot.”