Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. ADHD Resource File. Table of Contents. Definition 3-4 Educational Characteristics 5 Behavior Characteristics 6-7 Educational Aspects (Assessment) 8 Educational Aspects (Instructional Strategies) 9 Social Impact 10
ADHD Resource File
The disorder is due to underdeveloped prefrontal/frontal lobes (motor behavior), basal ganglia (control of motor behavior), cerebellum (coordination of motor behavior), and corpus collosum (connections) areas of the brain.
Underdevelopment in these areas lead to the characteristics and difficulties linked to ADHD.
3) ADHD combined type
The problems associated with ADHD (hyperactivity, inattentiveness, and impulsiveness) all make it harder for students to interact and prosper in a normal school setting.
Effective emotional programming for students is very important in education
-delay a response
-interrupt an ongoing response
-protect a response from distracting or competing
- not waiting one’s turn
-not refraining from interrupting a conversation
-not resisting potential distractions
-or not delaying instant gratification from one’s work to larger or long-term rewards (*they must have a response now)
- working memory Forgetfulness, lack of hindsight and foresight, time management
- Inner speech voice needed to talk to oneself while working out a solution to a problem
- Emotions and arousal levels overreact to negative or positive
- analyzing problems and communicating the solution respond impulsively, not flexible,
Assessing student needs
- Rating scales and direct observations
- Functional Behavioral Assessment
-involves… determined consequences, antecedents, and setting events
that maintain appropriate behavior
-students keep track of their own behavior and then receive consequences
Intervention and Instructional Strategies
They need shorter time to focus attention, reduce reliance on working memory
Creates a goal-setting guide
Increases the likelihood of them making connections
Most need to be actively engaged in the activity to be receptive of it
Increases the likelihood of meaningful engagement
Helps with the students difficulty of synthesizing
- Social relationships are often filled with misunderstandings and miscommunication.
- The disorder causes difficulty in managing their reactions.
- Interactions are often tense.
- Often rejected
- Perceived as shy or withdrawn due to inattentive behavior
These resources are a great way to learn more about ADHD, as well as open doors to further resources that are available to the public, including those for educators, families, and peers who may be impacted by the disorder.
-A professional educator should be one who is well-knowledged in all aspects of the teaching profession. Special educators and general educators alike should be knowledgeable of learning disabilities and how to approach them via teaching methods.
- As an educator, ethics take a primary role in the effectiveness of the relationships we build with out students. We should be knowledgeable in the aspects of disabilities, but should not characterize the child by their disability, but build relationships based on the students themselves.
- Teachers should lead the way in the advocacy of fair treatment of all students. Because of our knowledge associated with varying disabilities we should lead the way in teaching others and express ways to help those students with disabilities to the best of our abilities.
- Our services as teachers is to lead students to better understanding of concepts and form students who may prosper in life. We must show this service to others including those with disabilities. It is important that people do not discriminate students because of their disabilities.
- As an educator and as a student of Brescia University’s School of Education, it is important that we grasp hold of the idea of life long learning. Life long learning is not limited to our subject of study, but also the different types of students that we may encounter during out careers. Learning about different disabilities and how we as teachers can best suit their needs is another aspect of lifelong learning that we must commit ourselves to.