How does Active Duty view the National Guard? Late in 2011…..
Insert JCS Video here from: http://langea.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/JCS Testimony Video.mp4
Insert Graham Support Video Here from: http://langea.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Graham-Support-of-NG.mp4
2013 Budget Request Figures 313,847,465 - Total Population of the United States 2,255,100 - Total End Strength of the U.S. Military 0.72 % - U.S. Military is less than ¾ of 1%
Steve Stivers (R-OH) OH NG Peter King (R-NY) NY NG Mike Enzi (R-WY) WY NG Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) IL NG Steven Palazzo (R-MS) MS NG Steve Womack (R-AR) AR NG Tim Walz (D-MN) MN NG Joe Wilson (R-SC) SC NG Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) IL NG Robert Scott (D-VA) MA NG Scott Perry (R-PA) PA NG Lindsey Graham (R-SC) SC NG Johnny Isakson (R-GA) GA NG Richard Nugent (R-FL) IL NG Collin Peterson (D-MN) MN NG Hal Rogers (R-KY) NC NG Out of 535 voting members in Congress, only 22 have National Guard experience. That is only 4% The other 96% need to be informed by the Associations! Jimmy Duncan (R-TN) TN NG Walter Jones (R-NC) NC NG Spencer Bachus (R-AL) AL NG TulsiGabbard (D-HI) HI NG John Conyers (D-MI) MI NG Vern Buchanan (R-FL) MI NG
Pentagon Transfers $708 million in TRICARE Funds for: • Fuel costs • Counterterrorism for Middle Eastern countries • Compensate for Pakistan closing ground supply routes to Afghanistan.
THIS is what we do! • We educate our elected officials • We encourage them to ask questions about matters that are significant to the National Guard • Are healthcare premiums an issue for Active Duty service members? Some who are asking questions about this issue.
Q: On pay raises, the pay raise will be 1.7 percent for fiscal year 2013 and 2014. After that, do you have any idea what that reduced rate would be? • MR. HALE: “I can tell you what we're planning for right now, and we're planning for: • 2015 – 0.5 % • 2016 – 1% • 2017 – 1.5%
Instead of 4 pay periods each UTA weekend, the National Guard would receive 2 pay periods. That is half the paycheck you receive now, and it will also cut your Guard retirement points by over 1/3rd.
Retirement Points Current Program: 4 X 12 = 48 14 points for AT 15 Participation Pts. Total Points = 77 Proposed Program: 2 X 12 = 24 14 points for AT 15 Participation Pts. Total Points = 53
This 1 change in the Guard Pay structure would result in: 50% decrease in your base pay Drill Check 30% decrease in your Retirement Points
Reduces Drill Pay • Reduces Retirement Points • Turn a 5 day into a “12 day work week” • In many states, this would trigger overtime…. • Guard pays their own travel expenses • Active Duty gets paid for weekends when they are OFF…. • AND, they earn leave time….
Active Duty Compensation 30 = Days in a month 8 = Weekend Days in a Month 2.5 = Leave accrued in a Month 10.5 = Total time off in a 30 day month Active Duty receives a full month’s pay for more than 1/3 of a month in “down-time”
How does a Legislative Process impact my pay and benefits?An illustration…..