Funding Opportunities for GI Science. at National Science Foundation Nina Lam 02/04/00. NSF Mission. To promote the progress of science To advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare To secure the national defense. Major Activities.
National Science Foundation
Nina Lam 02/04/00
Six current awards:
1. “Center for spatially enabled social science”
2. “TalkBank: A multimedia database of communicative interaction”
3. “The national FMRI data center”
4. “Dynamic employer-household data and the social data infrastructure”
5. “Finding aids, bibliographic references, expert training, and integrated hyperlinks”
6. “International integrated microdata access system
Deadline: Aug. 1, 2000; 4-8 awards
not less than $500,000/year, 3-5 years
must be multidisciplinary (as many as possible); large-scale; across scales; biological, physical and social systems; model driven
Full proposal: March 1, 2000
software; information technology education and workforce; human computer interface; information management; computational science; scalable information infrastructure; social and economic implications; revolutionary computing
930 preproposals submitted;
recommend about 120 for full proposals
1800 Letters of intent received!!
- Significant increase in ITR (~ 223 mil+)
- Could a portion be devoted to GI Science?
- Within BCS, 1.6 mil increase for basic research in GI Science
Spans the interests of most NSF directorates; includes most of the programs in SBE;
challenges the scientific communities
has broad-based support from communities