The Waves and Sound Game. Lots of fun! Win valuable prizes!. 1. The source of all wave motion is a region of variable high and low pressure. movement of matter. harmonic object. vibration. . 2. The time needed for a wave to make one complete cycle is its frequency. period.
Lots of fun! Win valuable prizes!
5. A man is standing on the shore of a beach, up to his knees in water. Every 2 seconds a wave breaks on him. What is the period of the wave?
7. Where can you touch a standing wave on a rope without disturbing the wave?
9. When two or more waves are at the same place at the same time, the resulting effect is called
12. When a sound source moves towards you, what happens to the wave speed?
13. Brianna is standing still and listening to a siren sounding an alarm. She begins running toward the sound. The frequency of the sound she hears will
14. A sound wave that has a higher frequency has a wavelength that is
23. Which of the following would be most likely to transmit sound with the highest speed?
27. What is the speed of a wave that is 0.5 m long and a frequency of 658 Hz?
28. A sound wave has a wavelength of 8 m. If its speed is 340 m/s, what is its frequency?
29. Explain the difference between mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves and give an example of each. (about 4 sentences)
A mechanical wave is a disturbance in matter and cannot travel through a vacuum. Sound, water waves and a vibrating guitar string are all examples of mechanical waves.
An electromagnetic wave is made of vibrating electric and magnetic fields and can travel through a vacuum. Light, radio waves and microwaves are all examples of electromagnetic waves.