Researching for Film Appreciation . ENG 213 October 2, 2008. Today . Library Basics- In General Website and Services Resources In-house Electronic Building Research Basics- Project Specific Formal Analysis Essay How to determine whether to use resources or no Which resources to use
October 2, 2008
a. Is there something unique/rare/characteristic about the director’s formal style?
1. Are there favorite/recurring cinematographic, editing, sound, etc. techniques?
2. Does the director tend to work with the same crew members (editors, DPs, etc.)?
3. Are there recurring actors or types? Does the director have a diegetic alter ego?
4. Does the director tend to favor a specific genre?
5. Do his/her films tend to be set in the same place, or similar places?
b. Does the director write his films, as well as direct them?
c. Does the director gravitate toward certain narrative devices (e.g. flashbacks, narrators)?
d. Does the director favor certain types of plots or conflicts (e.g. man against nature)?
e. What is the theme of the film? Is it a theme the director tends to revisit?
f. Does the film have a particular/clear political point of view or message? If so, what is it?
g. Would this film be drastically different if made by another director? How?
a. What film epitomizes this director as a filmmaker?
b. What theme(s) run through his work?
c. What are some key aesthetic/visual characteristics of his work?