National Branding What? How? Why?
National Branding • What is it – and why do it? • Examples: • Nationality and ordinary branding • National Branding • How to do it ! • ITC and National Branding
The Issue With globalisation, more products and services are offered – and they tend to become more uniform in quality, design, price, delivery time etc. Information-overload on almost similar products makes country-of-origin a more and more decisive factor for buyers
National Branding – a definition Establishment of an image (internally and externally) for a country based on positive and relevant values and perceptions Emphasizing the image when promoting trade, tourism and inward investments
Can you tell these “-stans” apart? • Uzbekistan • Kyrgyzstan • Turkmenistan • Kazakistan • Tajikistan
National Branding Global companies increasingly ignore nationality They emphasize soft issues, their value to society, their benevolent influence, … Nations increasingly emphasize nationality They use business speak: growth targets, education targets, health targets,…
The Main Stakeholders • Strategy makers • Initiate and coordinate national branding • Companies • Who have to live and adapt to the national image byusing or not using it as a business partner
1. Parties Involved • Government - yes, but! • Industry • The arts • Education • Sports • The Media • Consultants
2. Audiences • Identify or define the audience • Find out how the nation is percieved – at home and abroad
3. Consultations • Identify national strengths and weaknesses
4. Core Idea • The entire programme must be based on something positive and relevant • A major project can be an asset
5. Co-ordinate Messages • The activities should be coordinated for export, inward investment and tourism • Central idea in brand book
6. Manage the Message • The messages shall be adapted for each audience – and possibly be adapted over time • And “time” means 20 years – or more!
National Branding at ITC’s website:www.intracen.org Click as follows: • Events • Executive Forum • Montreux debate • Papers • Session 4 - National Branding – with about 12 papers and cases
Session 4: Projecting Value: Is there a Case for National Branding? • ITC Proposition • Projecting Value: Is there a Case for National Branding? • ITC Proposition Paper>>> Coming later Issue Papers • Developing a National Brand: A Suggested Approach • Scotland The Brand – A Case Study • New Zealand's Experience with National Branding • National Team Papers • Kyrgystan: Is there a case for National Branding? • Status on the development of our National Brand - Ecuador • Support Papers • Cosmopolite Branding Newsletter - April 2002 • Cosmopolite Branding Newsletter - August 2002 • Journal of Brand Management: What Should a Successful National Brand be Based On? • Journal of Brand Management: Who Should Consider Nation Branding? • Journal of Brand Management: Why Nation Branding is Important • Journal of Brand Management: How to Create a Nation BrandT • he Branding of Nations: Excerpt from a forthcoming book on nationalbranding, by Stardust New Ventures
Thankyou Q & A