primary cns lymphoma focus on role of radiation n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Primary CNS Lymphoma: focus on role of radiation PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Primary CNS Lymphoma: focus on role of radiation

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 22

Primary CNS Lymphoma: focus on role of radiation - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 171 Views
  • Uploaded on

Primary CNS Lymphoma: focus on role of radiation. Dr. Rico Liu Consultant, Department of Clinical Oncology, Queen Mary Hospital Honorary Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Oncology, The University of Hong Kong Deputy Hospital Chief Executive, Queen Mary Hospital.

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

Primary CNS Lymphoma: focus on role of radiation


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Presentation Transcript
    1. Primary CNS Lymphoma: focus on role of radiation Dr. Rico Liu Consultant, Department of Clinical Oncology, Queen Mary Hospital Honorary Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Oncology, The University of Hong Kong Deputy Hospital Chief Executive, Queen Mary Hospital BTG 2013 Feb 2013

    2. Points for discussion • Effects of radiation • Radiotherapy is not for everyone but for whom and when • The role of new technology

    3. Effects of radiation apoptosis • External Radiotherapy • High energy Xray • Photon- • Gama ray- from radioactive decay, e.g. Colbert • High energy particles • Electron • Proton • Brachytherapy • Systemic radiotherapy

    4. Effects of therapeutic radiation

    5. Normal tissue tolerance Milano et al., Semin Radiat Oncol. 17 (2007): 131-140

    6. Treatment improves survival Henry JM et al. Cancer 34: 1293, 1974 Nelson DF et al. IJROBP Volume 23, Issue 1, 1992, Pages 9–17 Ferreri AJ et al. Ann Oncol. 2000 Aug;11(8):927-37

    7. PCNSL: Radiotherapy alone • RTOG 8315 • Phase II study of WBRT 40Gy + 20Gy boost • N = 41 • Overall median survival 12.2 months • Benefit of boost doubtful: disease recurrence frequently occurred in the boosted field, survival no better than previous study without use of boost • Ocular involvement: 36Gy to both eyes (or Rx with high dose MTX) Nelson DF et al. IJROBP Volume 23, Issue 1, 1992, Pages 9–17

    8. PCNSL: Chemo + radiotherapy • CR 58%, PR 36% (Overall RR 94%) • Overall survival 37 months • 15% ( 12 patients) developed severe delayed neurologic toxicity • 8 out of 12 died ( 5/8 from the group > 60 years of age and 3/8 from < 60 years of age)

    9. Delayed neurotoxicity is worse for elderly patients Omuro AM et al. Arch Neurol. 2005 Oct;62(10):1595-600

    10. G-PCNSL-SG-1 trial

    11. Not enough evidence to forgo WBRT • Limitations of the trial • Low statistical power • High protocol violations • High rate of lost to follow up • Small sample size in the analysis of neurotoxicity

    12. Lower dose of RT for patients with CR

    13. WBRT- set up

    14. Therapeutic management of PCNSL Role of radiotherapy Ferreri A J M Blood 2011;118:510-522

    15. The role of new technology Neuro Oncol (August 2009) 11 (4): 423-429

    16. Summary • PCNSL is rare • Chemotherapy +/- radiotherapy offer the best survival • Delayed neurotoxicity is common and can cause major disability and death • Reduce risk of delayed neurotoxicity • lower consolidation dose for patients <60 • defer WBRT for those older patients >60 • Radiotherapy remains an effective treatment for patients considered not suitable for chemotherapy

    17. Thank You