Introduction to Humanitarian Accountability. “Why have you deleted my name from the distribution lists of people with disabilities?” (Orissa, India). Some food for thought:.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
“Why have you deleted my name from the distribution lists of people with disabilities?”
“To be accountable to our beneficiaries, we must close the gap between what we practice and what we preach. We must improve both what we do, and how we do it.” Jan Egeland, UN Under-Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency
“Donors are not accountable to recipient governments, and neither donors nor recipients are really accountable to poor people. This lack of ‘downward’ accountability contrasts sharply with donors’ excessive demands for ‘upward’ accountability.”From Action Aid’s report, Real Aid
Can you provide an example to illustrate what humanitarian accountability is?
Learning & enhanced
a model for Enhancing Accountability
& sanctions of staff
into agencies work
ring & reporting
1.Commitment Respect and promote the rights of legitimate humanitarian claimants
2. State the standards that apply in their humanitarian assistance work
3. Inform beneficiaries about these standards, and their right to be heard
4. Meaningfully involve beneficiaries in project planning, implementation, evaluation and reporting
5. Demonstrate compliance with the standards that apply in their humanitarian assistance work through monitoring and reporting.
6. Enable beneficiaries and staff to make complaints and to seek redress in safety.
7. Implement these principles when working through partner agencies.
Maison Internationale de l´Environnement 2Chemin Balexert 7 (first floor, room 1-08)CH - 1219 ChâtelaineGeneva, SwitzerlandTel: +41 22 788 16 41Fax: +41 22 797 38 61