sound, image, text. Lecture Five Wed Aug 20, 2008 1. An Important Idea regarding Sound and Space and 2. Contextual Meaning: Altering how we see and hear the world. PART 1; SPACE IS THE PLACE.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Wed Aug 20, 2008
An Important Idea regarding Sound and Space
Altering how we see and hear the world
Sun Ra (1964) Blaxploitation Free Jazz Epic…
Example: Decasia by Bill Morrison. Music by Michael Gordon.
"Hollywood has always been an irresistible, prefabricated metaphor for
the crass, the materialistic, the shallow, and the craven"(Neal Gabler).
Artists:People Like US (UK)
Title:Story Without End
About the work:Made using footage from the Prelinger Archives
this film explores how technology enables us to communicate
faster. The narrative is from a public domain film of the same name
made in 1950 about the development of microwave radio
transmission and the transistor.
An interpretation: By recycling visions of the future from the past,
recontextualising these visions, we project new meanings onto
old images and sounds.
Prepare a brief outline of your tutorial presentation (max 1 page) for discussion in
class next week.
• the essential style or quality of the each medium: SOUND/ MUSIC, IMAGE and/or WORDS/ TEXT
• the key CONTEXTUAL aspects of your example (ie. genre, history)
• the ROLE or FUNCTION of sound/ music in relation to the image and/ or text elements. How is sound shaping our understanding of your example.
• the STRUCTURE of the sound/ image/ text relationships - how the elements relate to each other e.g. synchronisation, rhythm, layering
• the RELATIONSHIP of sound/ music to other CONCEPTS such as narrative, diegetic and non-diegetic distinctions.
• the INTERTEXTUAL or INTRATEXTUAL relationship between your example and another text i.e. film, song, narrative. How is meaning constructed through this relationship.