Pest Management. Why is pest management important in the horticulture industry?. Key Questions. What are the five major categories of pests? Explain best management practices while maintaining environmental integrity. What is complete and incomplete metamorphosis of insects?
Why is pest management important in the horticulture industry?
5. Rodents and other animals
1. Chewing- mandibles (grubs, beetles, caterpillars)
2. Piercing and sucking- elongated beaks with an injecting organ (aphids, leafhoppers, mosquitoes)
3. Siphoning (moths and butterflies)
4. Rasping (thrips)
Examples: caterpillars to moths or butterflies, grubs to beetles, maggots to flies
According to Figure 8-6, what are the differences in complete and incomplete metamorphosis?
Name at least one trade name of each type of herbicide.
Pests are controlled in the following ways:
During evaluation ask:
1. What is wrong?
2. What is the source of the problem?
3. What should be done about it?
How have we mechanically controlled weeds in the greenhouse?