Art Museum Established on the basis of the painting and sculpture collection originating in the Picture Gallery of the Constanța City Hall, the museum was enriched with works transferred from the National Art Museum and from acquisitions and donations from Marius Bunescu, Ion Jalea, Boris Caragea.
The exhibits are displayed on three floors of the two buildings linked to each other; the first construction dates from 1895, and bears elements of neo-classical exterior decoration, the other one is modern and was built between 1980 and 1982. In the first building, on the ground floor, are on display reference works by Theodor Aman, Nicolae Grigorescu and Ioan Andreescu. There are a few still lives by Ștefan Luchian. The ground floor exhibition includes works by great sculptors from the same age: Ioan Georgescu, Ștefan Ionescu Valbudea, Friederic Storck and Dimitrie Paciurea.
On the first floor a large Pallady hall displays no less than 35 works by the artist: exquisite still lives and nudes, as well as landscapes inspired by the seaside at Constanța, which means he was here in 1913. Also here one can admire small portraits and compositions signed by Ion Jalea, Cornel Medrea, and other sculptors. The second floor displays a vast "Group of the 4", a landmark of the 1924 - 1933 arts: Nicolae Tonitza, Ștefan Dimitrescu, Francisc Șirato, and the sculptor Oscar Han. The second floor comprises compositions, portraits, and landscapes signed by Camil Ressu, Sabin Popp, Ion Theodorescu Sion, a.s.o.
Other halls display works by Vasile Popescu, Dimitrie Ghiață, Ion Țuculescu and Lucian Grigorescu. Some other works owed to Corneliu Mihăilescu, M. H. Maxy, Magdalena Rădulescu, Marcel Iancu (some of the few outstanding avant-garde representatives) make the connection to the contemporary art of Ion Musceleanu, Spiru Chintilă, Ion Pacea. The museum owns goods listed in the National Cultural Heritage Treasure.
Folk Art Museum • In 1975, the folk art collection was established within the Art Museum of Constanța, and in 1980 it became a department of its own. Since 1985 the acquisitions have been oriented towards the other ethnographic areas. Since 1990 it has been a fully independent institution.
The permanent exhibition includes all the folk art genres distributed on ethnographic areas, as the museum has a national status. The building museum dates from 1893 and is a monument of architecture. Originally it was a city hall, then post office. It was restored in 1973, 1978, and 1989. The museum comprises folk art collections: pottery, wood and glass icons, metalwork, folk costumes, rugs, fabrics, textiles, ornaments. The ceramic, wood and metal domestic items are of various patterns.
The interior fabrics - towels, table cloths, sheets, rugs etc. - made of cotton, cocoon silk and wool are also of a high variety of patterns. The 4 m long towels belong to the old peasant interiors. The flower, plant, animal and human motifs, alternating with stripes of various widths create specific patterns. The wool fabrics for decor or domestic use have patterns alternating stripes, geometrical motifs, evenly and continuously distributed.
"Ion Jalea" Sculpture Museum • It was established on the basis of the artist's donations (1887 - 1983) and includes sculptures (108 works), drawings, reliefs, statues, and busts. It is housed in a listed building, raised in a neo-Romanian style, between 1919 - 1920, designed by the architect Victor Stephănescu. On the ground floor and first floor the exhibits include original works and models, worked in different materials and techniques. Themes vary: allegorical works, battlefield drawings, portraits, monumental compositions, etc. In front of the house, on the cliff, there is his defining masterpiece "Archer Resting."
"King Ferdinand I" National Military Museum. Constanţa Branch • The exhibits include military history items: weapons, uniforms, medals, documents and photographs.
Astronomic Observatory The collection holds scientific instruments with museum function, making it possible to research systematically various astronomical phenomena.
National History and Archaeology Museum • TThe first attempts at establishing a museum in Constanța date from the first half of the 19th century. However, the Romanian Academy and the local authorities took an interest in ancient vestiges only after the Independence War (1877 - 1878) and the integration of Dobrudja in the Romanian state.
Remus Opreanu, the first Romanian prefect in Dobrudja, and the school inspector Ion Bănescu gathered vestiges in Constanța and from its surroundings and sheltered them in the building of the Prefecture. The small museum fell apart because of a fire in 1882. The rescued monuments were sheltered in the "Pavilion" of the public garden. After many shifts, the National History and Archaeology Museum was completely reorganized in 1977.
There are collections of prehistoric, Greek, Roman, Byzantine and mediaeval archaeology: flint tools, pottery, stone, bronze and iron tools and weapons, architectural elements, sculptural art, glass pottery, bronze statuettes, jewels, bronze, silver and gold coins (Scythian coins as unique items); history items.
"Callatis" Archaeological Museum • It houses Prehistoric, Gaetic, Greek and Roman archaeology items found in Mangalia and its surroundings: vessels, amphorae, glass containers, pipes, the mosaic of a Hellenistic room, a hoard, the Papyrus Tomb inventory, statuettes of Tanagra, bas-reliefs. The museum owns goods listed in the National Cultural Heritage Treasure.
National History and Archaeology Museum- Adamclisi • The Tropaeum Traiani museum complex is made up of three units: the triumphant monument of Tropaeum Trajani (studied by Grigore Tocilescu, O. Benford and G. Niemann between 1882 and 1895), the homonymous settlement (dating from the 2nd century AD) and the site museum. Designed like a lapidarium, the modern museum building (inaugurated in 1977) comprises numerous archaeological vestiges discovered on the premises. Along one side of the museum are on display the metopes, the lower and upper friezes, the pillars, battlements and parapet blocks of the festooned attic style. In the hall centre there is the huge statue of the trophy, the inscription and weapon frieze. The other exhibits include the ceramics collections (Hamangia culture pottery, Gaetic ceramics, Greek, Roman and Byzantine amphorae), lamps, tools, ornaments, aqueducts, sculpture, epigraphic documents.
CARMEN SYLVA HIGH SCHOOL EFORIE SOUTH, ROMANIA STUDENTS: • CRICA LIVIA ELENA • GANEA ANDREEA • PANDELEA SABIN • VOICU IULIAN • DRAGOS ANDREI COORDINATING TEACHER • TRANDAFIR LUMINITA