Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. What’s advertising? Free talk Advertising is a form of communication that typically attempts to persuade potential customers to purchase or to consume more of a particular brand of product or service.
2. How many types of advertising do you know? Media, covert advertising, television commercials, infomercials (电视导购节目), celebrity advertising, newer media and advertising approaches.
3. Where can we find these ads? 4. Why do you like these ads? On billboards, on the Internet, in newspapers / magazines, on TV, in leaflets, in buses, etc. They are quite interesting, creative and we can get some useful information from them.
Types of advertisements Commercial advertisements To promote a product or service. Public service advertisements (PSAs) To educate people about health, safety or any other problem which affects public welfare.
Observe the four ad pictures in the textbook. Try to divide them into two parts. Earth Day Ads for public issues Ads for sales Say ‘No’ to Drugs Oxlin Airlines Soft Shine Shampoo
Look at the four ads in the textbook. Try to answer these questions: What images can you see on each poster? What can you read on each poster? What does each advertisement try to tell us?
Poster 1 This poster is a commercial advertisement. It offers the airline service. It uses “I love to fly with Oxlin Airlines”. Taking airlines is a fast way to get to another place. In this way much of time can be saved.
Poster 2 This poster strikes us a lot. It is trying to show us that the birds have nowhere else to build their nests. They have to build their nests in the sky because all the trees have been cut down. It sends us a serious warning and tells us that we should protect the environment from now on.
Poster 3 Taking drug is harmful both to the people who take drugs and to their family. If someone takes drugs, he / she will become seriously ill. This poster is intended to educate people about health and the problems in society and calls on people to make an anti-drugs campaign and it also tells us not to ignore the problem around us.
Poster 4 This poster is targeting young people, especially girls, because they pay more attention to their appearance. It uses persuasive words “Shine that lasts for days” successfully to persuade young people to buy this shampoo.
Discussion Which advertisement makes you want to buy a product or service? Why? Which advertisement makes you think about social problems? Why?
Free talk Do you like advertisements? Do you think there are too many of them and that they are everywhere? Do you think advertisements play an important part in our lives? Why or why not? Why do companies and organizations advertise?
Fast-reading 1. What do ads try to persuade people to do? To buy a product or service, or to believe in an idea. 2. What does PSA stand for? Public service advertisement.
3. What do PSAs aim to do? They aim to teach us and help us lead better lives.
Read the text again and answer the questions. 1. Where are advertisements usually found? They are usually found in newspapers and magazines, on the Internet, radio and television.
2. What is the major distinction between commercial advertisements and PSAs? A commercial advertisement is one which someone has paid for to advertise a product or service, while a public service advertisement is often run for free, and is meant to educate people about health, safety, or any other problem that affects public welfare.
3. Why are some of the advertisements clever according to the article? 4. When did China begin a nationwide public service advertising campaign? Because even if an ad does not lie, it does not mean it is altogether innocent. In 1996.
5. Why should we follow the advice in PSAs? Because PSAs are meant to benefit the public, and by following the advice in PSAs, we can often learn a lot.
True for False T • Most people are not aware of how many ads are around them. • Advertisements are always meant to promote a product or service. • PSAs are only found in newspapers and on TV. F F
T 4. PSAs and commercial ads use some of the same methods. 5. Commercial ads often give us valuable information about how to live our lives. 6. An ad warning people against smoking is an example of a PSA. F T
Read the third part Public service advertisements again and answer the questions. 1. What is the subject of this part? PSAs use some of the same methods, but they are made to serve the public.
2. What information supports this idea? PSAs are meant to teach us and help us lead better lives. There are also PSAs that encourage people to support public service projects, such as Project Hope. Other PSAs teach people how to live healthy lives, for example, the campaign to stop people smoking.
3. What is the conclusion? All of these ads are meant to benefit the public, and we can often learn a lot by following the advice they give.
Free talk Summarize the differences and similarities between the two types of advertisements, commercial ads and PSAs.
Similarities Differences Types of ads Pur-poses Place found Methods used Validity commercial ads
Group A: Advertising has a positive effect on our lives. Group B: Advertising has a negative effect on our lives. Debate