Chapter 16 Using Effective Promotional Techniques CPS questions
1. Which of the following does a promotional campaign begins with? • Identifying a target market • Defining the objectives for each element of the promotion mix • Determining a promotional budget • Developing a unifying message
2. Creating a positive brand image by using all the promotional tools in a comprehensive, unified promotional strategy is called: • brand awareness. • brand publicity. • integrated promotional communication. • integrated marketing communication.
3. Milwaukee Manufacturing has redesigned its promotional strategy. The company now utilizes a system that combines all the elements of their promotion mix to create a more responsive organization providing a consistent message. What has Milwaukee Manufacturing adopted? • An internal marketing program • An integrated marketing communication system • A multilevel coordination plan • A stakeholder response system
4. Advertising to wholesalers and retailers by manufacturers to encourage them to carry their products is referred to as which of these? • Retail advertising • Trade advertising • Business-to-business advertising • Institutional advertising
5. The effectiveness of magazine advertising is reduced by: • Inflexibility • Inability to target specific markets • Brief life span • Higher total cost, relative to television advertising
6. ________ is an advantage of magazine advertising. • Short exposure time • The ability to quickly change messages • Superior color • Relatively short life
7. Big Jack promotes its services through Mechanical Engineers Today, a trade magazine that charges Big Jack and other companies $5000 per page to help offset the magazine’s publishing costs. This promotional activity is an example of which of these? • Publicity • Advertising • Public relations • A trade show
8. The selection of potential customers is known as __________ in the seven step B2B selling process. • prospecting • synchronizing • articulating • qualifying
9. "You never get a second chance to make a good first impression," captures the importance of which step in the selling process? • Prospecting • Introduction • Qualifying • Approach
10. After completing his sales presentation, Luke’s client expressed her concerns and questioned some of the details of the sales proposal. Which of the following would an effective salesperson do? • Downplay these objections and push to close the sale as quickly as possible to avoid the endless questions that some customers ask. • Address her concerns and develop a better relationship. • Consider revising the presentation so that next time customer concerns and objections can be avoided. • Bring in the top executives of the company to close the sale.
11. One way to see that publicity is handled well by the media is which of these? • Pay for it • Establish a friendly relationship with media representatives • Write good press releases • Ask for the best location or time in the medium under consideration
12. Which of the following does a good public relations program recognize? • That the company is always right • That a firm must be willing to make changes in its policies and procedures • That a firm must be independent of production and service activities • That the media profits by selling bad news
13. Herbert faces the challenge of developing the promotion mix for a new business. Given the uniqueness of the new products and a very limited budget, Herbert confronts a creditability problem. He realizes that the promotional messages of an unknown firm may be met with skepticism. Which of the following should Herbert consider? • Publicity to help create a positive image for his firm and its products. • The extensive use of persuasive advertising. • Emphasizing personal selling rather than public relations. • Changing jobs because this situation is hopeless.
14. What allows B2B buyers to see products on the Internet 24 hours a day, 365 days a year without having to leave their office? • Virtual trade show • Direct marketing show • Shopping network • Cyber market
15. At a recent sporting event, a local beer distributor gave free beverage mugs to all adults with a paid admission. This is this an example of which of these? • Market segmentation • Sampling • Publicity • Sales promotion
16. Which of the following statements is most accurate? • Sales promotions are targeted both internally and externally. • Sales promotion efforts are directed at nonprofit organizations. • Dealers are inappropriate targets of sales promotion activities. • The goal of sales promotion activities is to create consumer awareness.
17. __________ is the distribution method for audio and video programs via the Internet that lets users subscribe to a number of files or feeds. • Webcast • Podcast • Blog • Filecast
18. Woodson Productions gives young adults free tickets to concerts it promotes if they agree to go into an Internet chat room and share their positive experience. The free tickets Woodson provides represents which of these? • A push strategy • Market teasers • A pull strategy • Swag
19. __________ are the focus of emphasized communication in the total systems approach to marketing. • Foreign agencies • Distributors • Government agencies • Competitors
20. Registration in Professor Dolly's classes reaches maximum enrollment quickly. Students register immediately online just to insure their seat in her class. One student summed it up, "Everyone's heard she is the best teacher on campus." What does Professor Dolly’s classes benefit from? • Viral publicity • Positive public relations • Free advertising • Word-of-mouth promotion
Answer: A LG: 1 Page: 432; figure 16.2 • Answer: D LG: 1 Page: 432 • Answer: B LG: 1 Page: 432 • Answer: B LG: 2 Page: 433; figure 16.3 • Answer: A LG: 2 Page: 434; figure 16.5 • Answer: C LG: 2 Page: 434; figure 16.5 • Answer: B LG: 2 Page: 433 • Answer: D LG: 3 Page: 439 • Answer: D LG: 3 Page: 440 • Answer: B LG: 3 Page: 440 • Answer: B LG: 4 Page: 443 • Answer: B LG: 4 Page: 442 • Answer: A LG: 4 Page: 443 • Answer: A LG: 5 Page: 444 – 445 • Answer: D LG: 5 Page: 443 – 444; figure 16.8 • Answer: A LG: 5 Page: 444 • Answer: B LG: 6 Page: 447 • Answer: D LG: 6 Page: 446 • Answer: B LG: 6 Page: 449 • Answer: D LG: 6 Page: 445