New France. Where it ALL began!. What questions will we answer?. 1) Why did France decide to settle along the St. Lawrence River? 2) What kind of society did New France have?
Where it ALL began!
Why did France decide to settle along the St. Lawrence River?
Reason #1: GOLD AND RICHES
What kind of society did New France have?
Like the School System!
Minister of Education
Viceroy: River? person who runs colony on behalf of king/queen
Sovereign Council: made rules and laws about day-to-day things in colony
Governor: appointed members to council
Intendant: made sure rules and laws were obeyed
Bishop so called him back to France in 1682.
2 main goals:
1. Provide new raw materials for France
2. Provide useful markets for goods produced in the mother country eg. Cloth, hardware.
What is mercantilism?
-produced wealth and consumed goods for the mother country
- the development of the colony was always in the interest of the mother country and not the colony. Trade with other places was forbidden
North Atlantic Triangle
New France France
Furs wood, Fish
Sugar, rum, tobacco
Why did New France not really make France as rich as Champlain hoped it might?
The Economy was fairly strong
- based around MERCHANTILISM
- set up as TRIANGULAR TRADE
- ‘Fish and Furs’ economy
What were the relationships between the First Nations and the French fur traders like? How was this different than the English fur traders?
Who won the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, and why was this important?
YOUR jobs for today, include: