Earth’s Interior 8th Grade Earth Science Mr. Butler
1. What is the science of geology? • The study of planet Earth.
2. What do geologist do? • They study the processes that create Earth’s features.
3. Describe 2 forces that change the surface of the Earth. • Constructive; builds up like deposition.
3. Describe 2 forces that change the surface of the Earth. B.Destructive; tears down like erosion
4. How do geologist study the inside of the Earth? Seismic waves produced by earthquakes& lava from volcanoes.
5. Compare and Contrast how the ocean and Earth are alike / different the deeper you go.
WaterEarth Temp. decreases Temp. rises Pressure rises Pressure rises Density the same Density increases
6. What are the main layers of the Earth? A. Crust Continental Oceanic B.Mantle Lithosphere Asthenosphere Mesosphere C.Core Outer Inner
7. Describe the crust. A. The thin, solid, brittle, rocky, outer layer, 5-40 km thick.
8. Describe the mantle. • It lies below the crust, a dense hot layer of rock, 2,900 km thick.
C. The lithosphere includes all of the crust and the rigid, upper mantle. It is divided into plates that move.
D. The asthenosphere lies beneath the lithosphere. It is plastic and flowing like soft road tar. Convection currents here cause the plates of the lithosphere to move.
F. The semi-rigid mesosphere is the deepest part of the mantle, just above the core.
9. Describe the core. A. At the center of the Earth lies the core. It is twice as dense as the mantle.
C. The outer core is molten iron and nickel. D. The inner core is solid iron and nickel.
E. The solid inner core spins inside the molten outer core producing Earth’s magnetic field.
F. The outer and inner core together are slightly smaller than our moon and make up about 1/3 of Earth’s mass.
10. Name the boundaries between the crust & mantle, and the mantle & core. A. The Mohorovicic (MOHO) Discontinuity separates the crust from the mantle. B. The Gutenberg Discontinuity separates the mantle from the core.