WORKPLACE HEALTH AND SAFETY COMMITTEE. QUESTIONNAIRE RESULTS July 31, 2012. 3. Who selected the employee representatives that sit on the Committee? Union: 83 % Management: 14 % Don't know: 3 % . Canada Labour Code - Part II. Appointment of members
QUESTIONNAIRE RESULTSJuly 31, 2012
3. Who selected the employee representatives that sit on the Committee?
Union: 83 %
Management: 14 %
Don't know: 3 %
4. Does your committee have terms of reference?
Yes: 85 % No: 9 % Don't know: 6 %
5. Does your committee post its minutes?
Yes: 98 % No: 1 % Don't know: 1 %
6. Are records kept of the matters that come before you?
Yes: 96 % No: 0 % Don't know: 4 %
7. Does the employee co-chair review and sign the year-end report (LAB 1058)?
Yes: 89 % No: 2 % Don't know: 9 %
Committee may establish rules
135.1 (14) Subject to subsections 134.1(7) and 135(10) and any regulations made under subsection 135.2(1), a committee shall establish its own rules of procedure in respect of the terms of office, not exceeding two years, of its members and the time, place and frequency of regular meetings of the committee and may establish any rules of procedure for its operation that it considers advisable.
9.(3) The employer shall, as soon as possible after receiving a copy of the minutes referred to in subsection (2), post a copy of the minutes in the conspicuous place or places in which the employer has posted the information referred to in subsection 135(5) of the Act and keep the copy posted there for one month.
135.1 (9) A committee shall ensure that accurate records are kept of all of the matters that come before it and that minutes are kept of its meetings. The committee shall make the minutes and records available to a health and safety officer at the officer’s request.
8. Have all employer representatives received this course?
Yes: 72 % No: 20 % Don't know: 8 %
9. Have all employee representatives received this course?
Yes: 72 % No: 26 % Don't know: 2 %
10. Have any representatives had difficulties in obtaining this course?
Yes: 9 % No: 79 % Don't know: 12 %
Specific duties of employer
125.(1) Without restricting the generality of section 124, every employer shall, in respect of every work place controlled by the employer and, in respect of every work activity carried out by an employee in a work place that is not controlled by the employer, to the extent that the employer controls the activity,
(z.01) ensure that members of policy and work place committees and health and safety representatives receive the prescribed training in health and safety and are informed of their responsibilities under this Part;
(z.17) post and keep posted, in a conspicuous place or places where they are likely to come to the attention of employees, the names, work place telephone numbers and work locations of all of the members of work place committees or of the health and safety representative;
11. How many workplace inspections does your committee conduct per year?
1: 5 % 2: 3 % 3: 0 % 4: 2 % 5: 1 % 6: 3 %
7: 1 % 8: 0 % 9: 9 % 10: 9 % 11: 6 % 12: 51 %
More than 12: 6 % Don’t know: 4 %
12. Does an employee representative participate on all inspections?
Yes: 95 % No: 2 % Don't know: 3 %
13. Does the committee regularly receive reports on maintenance to HVAC systems, elevators, etc?
Yes: 34 %
No: 51 %
Don't know: 15 %
14. Does the committee regularly participate when a refusal to work is investigated?
Yes: 34 % No: 8 % Don't know: 58 %
15. Does an employee representative always participate?
Yes: 48 % No: 6 % Don't know: 46 %
16. Does the committee regularly participate when complaints/hazardous occurrences are identified?
Yes: 87 % No: 7 % Don't know: 6 %
17. Does an employee representative always participate?
Yes: 80 % No: 12 % Don't know: 8 %
18. Does the committee regularly participate when security incidents involving OHS are identified?
Yes: 75 % No: 15 % Don't know: 10 %
19. Does an employee representative always participate?
Yes: 69 % No: 18 % Don't know: 13 %
20. Does the committee review all the National Quarterly Security Incident reports?
Yes: 49 % No: 30 % Don't know: 21 %
21. Does the committee receive all of the H&S reports (T-4009) from the employer?
Yes: 80 % No: 6 % Don't know: 14 %
22. Does the committee receive all of the reports of the H&S matters dealt with using WINFAST?
Yes: 32 %
No: 39 %
Don't know: 29 %
23. Is the committee regularly informed when there are problems with the HVAC systems, elevators, etc?
Yes: 54 % No: 37 % Don't know: 9 %
24. Is the committee regularly advised of renovations to your building?
Yes:71 % No: 25 % Don't know: 4 %
25. Is the committee regularly advised when there are relocations?
Yes: 46 % No: 38 % Don't know: 16 %
26. Workplace Committee’s Minutes
Yes: 99 % No: 0 % Don't know: 1 %
27. Workplace Committee’s Annual Report
Yes: 71 % No: 17 % Don't know: 12 %
28. Canada Labour Code Part II
Yes: 85 % No: 9 % Don't know: 6 %
29. The Workplace Committee meeting schedule
Yes: 43 % No: 52 % Don't know: 5 %
Communication of Information
16.6(1) Subject to subsection (2), the employer shall post and keep posted or have readily available in a conspicuous place accessible to every employee in each workplace
(a) information regarding first aid to be rendered for any injury, occupational disease or illness;
(b) information regarding the location of first aid stations and first aid rooms;
(c) at every first aid station and first aid room, a list of first aid attendants, and information on how they may be located;
(d) near the telephones, a list of telephone numbers kept up- to-date for use in emergencies; and
(e) information regarding transport procedures for injured employees
Availability of Material Safety Data Sheets
10.34(1) Subject to subsection (2), every employer, other than an employer referred to in subsection 10.32(4), shall keep readily available for examination by employees and by the work place committee or the health and safety representative in any work place in which an employee may handle or be exposed to a controlled product, a copy in English and in French of
(a) in the case of an employer who is an employer referred to in subsection 10.33(1) or (2), the work place material safety data sheet; and
(b) in any other case, the supplier material safety data sheet.
30. CRA National OHS Website
Yes: 83 % No: 7 % Don't know: 10 %
31. CCOHS (Canada Centre for OHS) Website
Yes: 53 % No: 17 % Don't know: 30 %
32. Regional H&S Advisor (Workplace Relations)
Yes: 63 % No: 22 % Don't know: 15 %
33. UTE’S Website
Yes: 66 % No: 24 % Don't know: 10 %
34. UTE Representatives
Yes: 82 % No: 13 % Don't know: 5 %
35. Has the committee reviewed your workplace’s Emergency Evacuation Plan?
Yes: 74 % No: 20 % Don't know: 6 %
36. Is the committee consulted on changes to the plan?
Yes: 55 % No: 31 % Don't know: 14 %
Emergency Evacuation Plan
17.4 (1) Where more than 50 employees are working in a building at any time, the employer or employers of those employees shall prepare an emergency evacuation plan for all employees, including those who require special assistance, after consultation with
(a) the work place committee or the health and safety representative
Meetings of Emergency Wardens and Drills
17.10 (1) At least once every year and after any change is made in the emergency evacuation plan or the emergency procedures referred to in paragraph 17.5(1)(c) for a building,
(a) emergency wardens, deputy emergency wardens and monitors appointed under section 17.7 and employees requiring special assistance shall meet for the purpose of ensuring that they are familiar with the emergency evacuation plan and the emergency procedures and their responsibilities there under; and
(b) an evacuation or emergency drill shall be conducted for the employees in that building.
37. Has your office appointed a co-ordinator for First Aid/AED Responders?
Yes: 82 %
No: 14 %
Don't know: 4 %
38. First Aid/AED Responders?
Yes: 79 % No: 15% Don't know: 6 %
39. AED Units?
Yes: 80 % No: 14% Don't know: 6 %
40. First Aid Kits?
Yes: 80 % No: 13% Don't know: 7 %
First Aid Attendants
16.3 (1) At every workplace at which six or more employees are working at any time, the employer shall ensure that there is a first aid attendant.
41. Does your office promote a scent-free environment?
Yes: 84 %
No: 14 %
Don't know: 2 %
42. Ergonomic Assessments
Yes: 66 % No: 14 % Don't know: 20 %
43. Air Quality Testing
Yes: 26 % No: 29 % Don't know: 45 %
44. Fitness to Work
Yes: 32 % No: 21 % Don't know: 47 %
46. If Yes, was the committee satisfied with their service?
Always: 45 % Sometimes: 53 % Never: 2 %
47. NAOSH Week
Yes: 60 % No: 34 % Don't know: 6 %
48. Emergency Evacuation Planning Week
Yes: 38 % No: 48 % Don't know: 14 %
49. Day of Mourning (April 28th)
Yes: 48 % No: 40 % Don't know: 12 %
50. Lunch and Learns on OHS Topics
Yes: 38 % No: 52 % Don't know: 10 %
51. Flu Shot Clinics
Yes: 31 % No: 59 % Don't know: 10 %
52. Health/Wellness Clinics
Yes: 39 % No: 47 % Don't know: 14 %
54. Does the committee always receive/review the minutes of the National H&S Policy Committee
Yes: 61 %
No: 26 %
Don't know: 13 %
55. Have any representatives experienced problems in obtaining time to fulfill their H&S duties?
Yes: 15 % No: 79 % Don't know: 6 %
56. Are your meetings frequently postponed or cancelled?
Yes: 6 % No: 92 % Don't know: 2 %
57. Does the committee have difficulty achieving consensus during meetings?
Yes: 1 % No: 38 % Don't know: 61 %
58. Are committee recommendations accepted by management?
Yes: 40 % No: 57 % Don't know: 3 %
59. Does the committee operate in an adversarial environment?
Yes: 5 % No: 17 % Don't know: 78 %
Rocky Mountains and National Capital Regions
Pacific and North Eastern Ontario Regions
Atlantic and South Western Ontario Regions
Prairie and Greater Toronto Regions
Montréal and Québec Regions
as well as anyone who wishes to participate in French