Wordly Wise 3 Language Arts 7 Thurston Middle School Amy Cochren
1. admonish To warn; To criticize gently
2. aghast Struck with horror;shocked
3. annihilate To destroy completely; To reduce to utter ruin
4. benefactor A person who provides help, especially by giving money
5.bestow To give as an honor; To present as a gift
6. devious Having many twists and turns; Sneaky; Not frank or honest
7. devoid Lacking; empty; entirely without
8. heed To pay attention to; Attention; Notice
9.mortal A human being; Causing death; Very severe
10. muse To think about in a quiet, careful way
11. pioneer A person who goes before others and opens the way for them to follow; To open the way for others
12. plague A deadly disease that spreads rapidly from one person to another; Anything that causes destruction or suffering
13. subside To sink to a lower level; To become quieter or less active
14. unwitting Not done on purpose; unintended
15. wrath Forceful anger; fury
Wordly Wise 3: • admonish 6. devious • aghast 7. devoid • annihilate 8. heed • benefactor 9. mortal • bestow 10. muse
List: 11. pioneer 12. plague 13. subside 14. unwitting 15. wrath
nouns • admonition 7. wrath • benefactor • heed • mortal • pioneer • plague
adjectives • aghast 7. unwitting • devious 8. wrathful • devoid • heedful • heedless • mortal
verbs • admonish 7. plague • annihilate 8. subside • bestow • heed • muse • pioneer
Question: What is the adjective form of wrath?
Question: Who is a pioneer in the field of cooking?
Question: What is the noun form of admonish?
Question: In what situation might a person receive a ticket for being heedless?
Question: What other than water can subside? Name three things.
Question: What might plague the mind of a sixth grader on the night before middle school begins?
Question: What did Prometheus bestow on humankind?
Question: Did Pandora’s curiosity subside when Zeus warned her not to look inside the box?
Question: Did Pandora know what she was doing when she helped Zeus carry out her plan?
Question: Would it be correct to call Pandora a benefactor of humankind?
Question: What was Zeus’s devious plan?
Question: What warning did Zeus give Pandora when he presented her with the box?
Question: Did Hephaestus obey Zeus’s order?
Question: How did Zeus’s curiosity affect Pandora?
Question: What plagued humankind?
Question: Did Zeus show any pity for Prometheus?
Question: In what way did Marie Curie take a lead in the world of science?
Question: Who suffered because of Zeus’s wrath?
Question: Why can we say that Marie Curie opened a Pandora’s box?