Chapter 15 Section 4 The Church and Society Pages 544-552 questions 1-6
1. What is Theology? • Theology is the study of religion and God.
2. What is vernacular language, and what were common vernacular languages in medieval times? • Vernacular Language is a local everyday language; Spanish, French, English, Italian, and German.
4. How did the Inquisition treat people brought before it? • The Inquisition would torture suspected heretics who would not confess.
5. How did Christian beliefs results in a resettlement of the Jews? Where did many of the Jews settle in the Middle Ages? • Christians persecuted the Jews and expelled them. Many Jews settled in Poland and other Eastern European countries.
6. What were Thomas Aquinas’s beliefs related to government? • Thomas Aquinas claimed that natural law gave people certain rights that the government should not take away