Unit 8 First aid. A first aid test. What should you do if you find a person who has stopped breathing? A. Run and find help. B: try to start his /her breathing. 2. What should you do if you find a person with a knife in his/her back? A: leave the knife in. B: Pull the knife out.
A: Tie a piece of cloth around the leg above the bleeding point.
B: press firmly on the bleeding point using a clean handkerchief.
4. What should you do if you find a person who has been hurt in a car accident?
A: leave him/her in the car.
B: Pull him/her out of the car.
A: Make the person throw up.
B: Take the person and the poison container to a hospital at once.
1. scream v. give a long piercing cry of fear,pain or
n. loud shrill piercing cry or noise.
2. witness n. person who sees an event take place
vt. be present at
3. panic n. sudden irrational feeling of great fear
vti. cause a person or an animal to be
affected with panic ( panicked ,
5.circulate vt. (cause sth to ) go round
6.keep in mindremember sb/sth
7.roll over(cause sth to ) move on wheels
Look at the table in the pre-reading.There are three outlines below.Which outline do you think is used in the passage ?
The second outline is used .
Because seconds count in an emergency, and knowing what to do can mean the difference between life and death.
2.What’s the most important thing to remember when dealing with an emergency ?
To stay calm and not to be panic.
They recommend that we use the letters DRABC to remember what to do when we have to think fast.
4. What do the letters “DR ABC” stand for ?
“D” stands for “Danger” ; “R” stands for “Response” ;
“A” stands for “Air-way” ; “B” stands for “Breathing” ; “C” stands for “circulation”.
We should give the first aid that is needed and call for an ambulance.
6. Can we do first aid correctly after reading this passage ?
No . This passage doesn’t contain enough information for us to do first aid correctly. We have to study with a teacher for a few hours.
Listen to the tape carefully. You may read after the tape. Pay attention to your intonation.
6. How can we make the wounded person’s airway clear and make it easy to breathe? Here’re the steps :
1) Place the hand of the person’s upper arm under his or her chin.
2) Bend the person’s leg so that he or she will not roll over.
3) Roll the person onto one side. Keep the legs straight.
8.Local newspapers recommend that we use the letters DR ABC to remember what to do when we have to think fast
9. We can only get the knowledge of first aid by ourselves.
10.We just leave the person lying on the ground; we don’t need anything to cover him.
Knowing the _________of first aid is very important. If they knew more about first aid, they could help the people in trouble. Usually knowing what to do in an ___________means the difference between life and _____.
The most important thing to keep in mind is to stay ____.
What should you do in the following situation?
First , …
2. The most important thing to keep in mind when dealing with an emergency is to stay calm. (para. 2)
v. 目睹；为… 作证
e.g Did you witness the accident?
She didn’t respond to my question.
1.Read the text again to find what you can’t understand.
2. Finish the exercises in English Weekly.