Florida Initiative for the Advancement of Teaching A proposal presented by Florida Atlantic University’s College of Education Gregory F. Aloia, Ph.D. Dean and Professor 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, FL 33431 561-297-3564 firstname.lastname@example.org 10-15-2006
PBCC – FAU Collaboration Dr. Dennis Gallon, President – PBCC Dr. Beverly Robinson, Provost – Belle Glade
FIAT Provides • Increased Realistic Classroom Experiences • Continual and Intensive Mentoring • Direct Support for Teacher Education Majors
Mission FIAT • Florida Initiative for the Advancement of Teaching (FIAT) will provide practical, research-based, and scalable solutions for improving Florida’s PK-20 educational system by recruiting, preparing, and retaining quality educators in sufficient numbers to meet the needs of Florida schools. • IFASInstitute of Food and Agricultural Scienceshttp://www.ifas.ufl.edu/
Primary Functions • Expanding the Potential Teacher Pool (Long-term) • Educator Training Initiatives (Ongoing) • Research and Evaluation Initiatives • Organizational & Strategic Planning Activities
1) Expanding the Potential Teacher Pool Project Good FIT (First Introduction into Teaching) • Places college freshmen/sophomores into schools as Instructional Interns one day a week with model classroom teachers and principals who mentor the students during their induction into teaching. Project Good FIT is designed to work collaboratively with community colleges . Each Good FIT student is paid a stipend.
2) Educator Training Initiatives (Ongoing) Project SMaRT (Substituting with Mentors and Realistic Teaching) • Places college juniors/seniors into schools as substitute teachers one to two days a week under the supervision of a university Master Mentor who supports the learning experiences of substitute teachers. Each SMaRT student is paid a stipend. • Accelerated Induction into Teaching Program (AIT)
2) Educator Training Initiatives (Ongoing) Project AIT (Accelerated Induction into Teaching) • Places highly qualified student teachers in their own classrooms for one semester as the instructor of record under the supervision of a university Master Mentor who works with the AIT teacher every day. Each AIT student is paid a stipend. Expand the Accelerated Induction into Teaching Program (AIT) to two additional Florida universities with partner school districts.
3) Research and Evaluation Initiatives- Part 1 Initial questions identified for further investigation are: Research Initiative Para’s to Teachers: • What is the most effective way to enable highly qualified paraprofessionals (especially bilingual and rurally located) to complete their degrees and obtain initial teacher certification? Research Initiative HOME:Home Ownership and Mortgages for Educators • What strategies can be implemented to address the cost of housing in many Florida counties for individuals relying on teacher salaries? Research Initiative International Teacher: • What is the most effective way to recruit and support foreign-born nationals with expertise in critical shortage areas (e.g. math and science) and train them to be successful in managing a Florida classroom? Research Initiative teacher longevity : • What are the reasons that teachers stay instead of leave the profession after five years?
4) Organizational and Strategic Planning Activities • Establish a statewide commission representing all PK-20 institutions and agencies to… • Develop a five-year strategic plan for FIAT. • Provide program oversight and accountability. • Create an accountability and performance incentive system for participating consortia members and individual prospective teachers.
Innovative Principles of FIAT : • Provides practical and realistic, professional experiences for prospective teachers (FIT, SMaRT, and AIT) • Total Professional Experience Days (FIT = 72, SMaRT=108, AIT=90) = 270 • Reinvests millions of existing public dollars into effective teacher recruitment, training, and retention. Paid Internships • (FIT= $4,320, SMaRT= $6,480, AIT=$5,000) = $15,800 • 73% of $15,800 Reinvested = $11,534 • Provides performance based scholarships for pre-service teachers who demonstrate a professional commitment to teaching and an academic commitment to earning their degree. • Cost of replacing a teacher = $12,000-14,000* (American Management Association 2004) Tuition FAU $13,200 4-years
Florida Initiative for the Advancement of Teaching FIAT Let it be done!