1. Camera Phone Image Quality
2. 2 CPIQ Objectives Create standardized metrics, test methods and tools for measuring and comparing camera phone image quality
Identify essential set of metrics that most affect camera phone image quality
Develop repeatable subjective test methods to validate & calibrate the objective metrics
Ultimately deliver a simple to use, clear, consumer-facing rating system
Implement a logo certification program
3. Progress Phase 1 work delivered white paper
describes fundamental attributes that contribute to camera phone image quality & associated measurement techniques.
Phase 2 – defined a pilot set of specific validated objective and subjective test metrics & methods for measuring CPIQ attributes
provides specific tools and validated test methods to facilitate standards based communication and comparison among carriers, handset manufacturers and component vendors on imaging performance.
Spatial Frequency Response (SFR) characterization
Color Uniformity assessment
Lateral Chromatic Aberration
Subjective Testing methodology
4. What’s Next? Phase 3 Plan: Phase 3 – develop additional metrics, test procedures required to translate and distill into a consumer oriented image-quality rating system for camera phones.
A logo certification program will be implemented. Phase 3 Metrics: Essential Set:
Color (consistency & WB)
Speed / Sensitivity
Possible additional metrics:
Veiling Glare, Stray Light/Flare & Ghosts
Color (preference & reproduction)
Depth of Field
Particles / Dust / Blemishes
Tone Reproduction 4
5. What’s Unique? We’re developing metrics with mobile device specific requirements and use cases.
No one has ever attempted to correlate objective image performance metrics with standardized subjective testing methods.
We have developed a subjective test method and validated results from the objective metrics to enable engineers to tune image performance to consumer preferences. 5
6. I3A Initiatives – Market Driven Small groups of members Flexible, fast results Incubator for formal standards Market driven serve commercial needs Adhoc, formed to achieve specific objectives 6