Anticipation Guide: A Pre-Reading Strategy. Presented by Jamelia Alnajjar, Addy Heckert, Lisa Horton, and Courtney McCready.
Jamelia Alnajjar, Addy Heckert, Lisa Horton, and Courtney McCready
Struggling readers don’t have access to those strategies – they need support!
1. Introduce the rationale for anticipation guides.
2. Using a think-aloud, explicitly model how to proceed through the first column of an anticipation guide.
3. In pairs, allow for guided practice of the second statement.
4. Students will independently practice on the third statement.
5. Read the story/poem excerpt.
6. Students will complete the post reading statements.
7. Debrief/discuss the before and after reading statements in the large group.