Unit 2. The universal language. Reading 1. Turandot in Beijing. Itâ€™s a review of an opera. Turandot in Beijing. Lead-in. Whatâ€™s a review?
The universal language
It’s a review of an opera.
1. A review of opera usually starts with some background information.
2. Talk about the story---the characters and the plot.
3.The review can give some other important information about the opera such as the actor’s names.
4. A comment---- lots of words that describe feelings.
1. Background information: (Para1-2)
Turandot is a world-famous ____________ written by __________.
It was performed in _______________.
the Forbidden City
Turandot: ['tuərəndɔt] 图兰朵
Giacomo Puccini['dʒa:kɔ:mɔ: pu'tʃ:ni] L1
2. The story: (Para3-7)
Turandot: a stubborn and cruel Chinese princess (L13)
Calaf [‘ka:la:f]卡拉夫: a prince who falls in love with Turandot (L22)
Liu柳儿: a young slave of Calaf’s father who loves Calaf (L24)
The plot: Detailed reading
3.Other important information (Para8)
Zhang Yimou L47
Zubin Mehta ['zu:bin' meitə]L46
Actors and actresses:
Sharon Sweet [‘ʃærən 'swi:t]莎伦.斯威L48-Turandot
Barbara Hendricks [‘ba:brə 'hendriks]L49--Liu
Kristjan Johannsson [‘krisdʒn 'jəʊhænsn] L50 –Calaf克里斯蒂安.约翰松(冰岛男高音歌唱家)
The passage can be divided into four parts. Find out the main idea of each part.
Part 1(Para 1-2)
Part 2(Para 3-7)
Part 3(Para 8)
Part 4(Para 9)
Other information about the opera
4. A general comment (Para9) ---
* The performance was_____________. (L3)
* The could not be a more________ setting. (L9)
* The weather was also __________ for a performance outdoors. (L10)
* The production combined the very ______ of Western and Chinese talents. (L45)
* The music was conducted by Zubin Mehta, a _______conductor. (L46)
* L50: They were________
1. What is Turandot?
It is a world-famous opera written by Giacomo Puccini between 1920 and 1924.
2. What decision does Calaf make when
he first sees Turandot?
Calaf falls in love with Turandot at first sight and decides to solve the riddles so that he can marry her. L22-23
3. What happens at the end of the story?
At the end of the story, Calaf and
Turandot unite in marriage. L40
Who was the author of Turandot?
Giacomo Puccini, an Italian. L5
2. Why does the writer think that the Forbidden City is a good setting for Turandot?
Because you could almost feel the history---Turandot is a story which happened in the Forbidden.L9, L14
Task 3:Detailed reading—Part C1,C2
She is stubborn and cruel. L13
4. What has Turandot’s father promised her?
He has promised to allow Turandot to choose her own husband. L15
He is killed. L19
6. What does Calaf say will happen if Turandot can guess his name by sunrise?
She will not have to marry him, but can have him killed. L30
C2: How familiar are you with the story of Turandot? Put the events of Part C2 on page 20 in the correct order.
5 4 7 2 1 8 3 6
Liu claims that she alone knows Calaf’s name, but resists telling Tuandot. L32-33
8. What makes the production amazing?
The bringing together of a group
of people from many countries, the
music and the grand setting. L53-55
Match the new word of Part D on page 21 with the meaning.
1 f 2 c 3 g 4 a 5 b 6 d 7 e
1. _____________ 2. _____________
3. _____________ 4. _____________
5. _____________ 6. _____________
7. _____________ 8. _____________
fall in love
Talk about a Western or a Chinese opera that you are familiar with. You can introduce the main characters, the setting and the plot. Or you can talk about the actors or actresses, the director and the conductor.
2. How important do you think music is for people today?
3. Have you been to any musical events or seen any on TV? If you have, what did you think of them?
1. Fill in the form in Parts A , B and C
of listening on page 114 of the
2. Find the important words and
expressions in Reading.