By RAJA SITI MARDHIAH RAJA AZMI & AFIF NUHAA JUWAHIR. CIRCADIAN rhythm disorders in malaysia. DEFINITION.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
CIRCADIAN rhythm disorders driven by changes in the sleep-wake cycle has been identified as one of the major causes of depression, the fourth most disabling disease in Malaysia, affecting up to 10% of the population.
“Up to 82% of depressed patients remain untreated due to social stigma, misdiagnosis, and under-treatment. More depressed patients are seen by primary care doctors than by actual psychiatrists, and a majority of them are not diagnosed. The remaining 18% receive antidepressant medications, but only 10% are adequately treated,” noted Prof Dr MohamadHussainHabil, past president of the Asean Federation for Psychiatry and Mental Health (AFPMH) at a media workshop organised by Servier Malaysia on “Circadian Rhythms and Depression” in conjunction with Mental Health Month.
Behavior therapy where the patient is told to avoid naps, caffeine, and other stimulants. They are also told to not be in bed for anything besides sleep and sex.