Saving Sight Worldwide LT 111Vocabulary
(1) a profit-making organization a non-profit organization • 營利組織 非營利組織 • WTO stands forWorld Trade Organization. • WHO • Dictation: • I don't like going on organized tours, because I want to have complete freedom to do what I want. (vs.a do-it-yourself trip) • a well-organized article/team
(2)be devoted to + V-ing/N • devote oneself to+ V-ing/N • Translation: • 他除了是音樂家，也全心投入環保。(In…) • In addition to being a musician, he is devoted to/ devotes himself to environmental protection. • devote one’s life/time/energyto... • devoted fans of Johnny Depp • a devoted mother/wife/husband/teacher…
(3)Dictation: • His back injury may prevent him from playing in tomorrow's game. • prevent...from V-ing阻止；使…免於… • (4) cure sb of sth • Most diseases are curable nowadays. • Money is not a cure-all for his problem. • a cure-all 萬靈丹 = a miracle cure
(5) He spent twenty years as a missionaryin Africa. • missionary (n.)傳教士 • (6) loss of sth • loss of control/confidence/memory • lost adj. 遺失的；走失的 • a lost tourist • Dictation: • The police found the lostchild in the deserted house. (→missing)
(8) a blow to sb/sth • Dictation: • I put the balloon to my lips and blewas hard as I could. • blow (v.) (blow-blew-blown) 吹；吹動 • Her hair was blowing in the breeze. • blow out the candles • blow one’s nose • blow up sth/sth blow up
Dictation: • Nick believes in individualism; he does things in his own way. • (14)good problem-solving skills • (15)provide sb. with sth. • provide sth. for sb 提供給某人某物 • Translation: • 這家百貨公司提供顧客免費停車。 • The department store provides customers with free parking. // The department store provides free parking for customers.
(16) advancedtechnology • advanced level/learnersof English • make advances/improvement(s)/progressin (doing) sth • Translation: • 到目前為止，他們在癌症預防方面有長足進步。 • Dictation: • If you're going to come, please let me know in advance. • in advance事先；預先
(17) a very useful piece of equipment • equip sb. with sth.使某人配備有某物 • Dictation: • 我希望上大學之前能夠具有良好的英文(能力) 。 • I hope I can equip myself with good English (ability) before I go to university. • be equipped with sth • 我們校園裡所有的教室都有電腦、投影機(projector)和冷氣機的設備。
All the classrooms on our campus are equipped with a computer, a projector, and air-conditioners. • well-equipped(adj.) • ill-equipped(adj.) • (19) be patient with sb • Mr. Huang is always patient with his students. • patiently(adv.)
have patience with sb. • (opposite)impatient;impatience • (20) She is very skilled at dealing with the public. • be skilled in/at
(22) sbbenefit from(doing) sth • sth/sbbenefitsb • A lot of people will benefit from the new policy. • Dictation: • Cycling is highly beneficial to health and the environment. • be beneficial to sb/sth 有益於
(25) be related to...跟……有關聯 • His loss of memory could be related to the disease. • relation (n.)關係；關聯 • relationship (n.)關係 • I have quite a good relationship with my parents.