Savannah’s Squares. Presented by Larry Smith. James Edward Oglethorpe laid out a 2.2 square mile tract in 1733 as the site of Savannah. Once this was done, he began laying out the city using a system of wards. From 1733 to 1856, a total of 24 wards were laid out. Tything (10 Lots). Tything
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
James Edward Oglethorpe laid out a 2.2 square mile tract in 1733 as the site of Savannah. Once this was done, he began laying out the city using a system of wards. From 1733 to 1856, a total of 24 wards were laid out.
Trust Lots (2)
In the Peter Gordon View, 1734, Savannah’s city plan has already assumed the form with which we are familiar today. Derby Ward, Percival Ward, Decker Ward, Heathcote Ward and their squares formed the nucleus around which the city would be built.
Franklin Ward, Franklin Square (Benjamin Franklin): already assumed the form with which we are familiar today. Derby Ward, Percival Ward, Decker Ward, Heathcote Ward and their squares formed the nucleus around which the city would be built.
A lost square, Franklin was later reclaimed.
Liberty Ward, Liberty Square (freedom, Liberty Boys):
Liberty is a lost square.
Elbert Ward, Elbert Square (Samuel Elbert, patriot & governor of Georgia):
Elbert is a lost square.
Decker Ward, Ellis Square (1733- Sir Matthew Decker, trustee, and Henry Ellis, GA’s 2nd royal governor): Once the site of City Market, Ellis Square has been a parking garage since 1954.
Heathcote Ward, Telfair Square (1733- George Heathcote, trustee, and the Telfair family): Telfair Square was originally St. James’s Square. It is one of two squares whose names were changed.
Jackson Ward, Orleans Square (1815- Andrew Jackson, Battle of New Orleans):
This square has a fountain and decorative stone benches.
Pulaski Ward, Pulaski Square (1837- Gen. Casimir Pulaski).
Chatham Ward, Chatham Square (1840s- William Pitt, Earl of Chatham).
Derby Ward, Johnson Square (1733- James Derby, trustee, and Robert Johnson, SC’s royal governor):
The Nathaniel Greene Monument is located in this square.
Percival Ward, Wright Square (1733- first president of the trustees, and James Wright, GA’s 3rd royal governor): Originally Egmont Square, Wright square holds the William Washington Gordon Monument and Tomochichi’s Rock.
Brown Ward, Chippewa Square (1815- Gen. Jacob Jennings Brown, Battle of Chippewa):The Oglethorpe Monument, created by Daniel Chester French and Henry Bacon, is located in Chippewa Square.
Jasper Ward, Madison Square (1837- Sgt. William Jasper, President James Madison): A monument honoring Sgt. William Jasper is located in Madison Square. Cannon marking the colonial road to Darien are also located here.
Monterey Ward, Monterey Square (1847- Mexican War battle): Monterey Square holds the Pulaski Monument. Pulaski, like Jasper, fell during the Siege of Savannah.
Reynolds Ward, Reynolds Square (1734- John Reynolds, 1 Robert Johnson, SC’s royal governor):st royal governor of GA): Reynolds Square is the site of the Wesley Monument which honors the founder of Methodism.
Anson Ward, Oglethorpe Square (1742- Admiral George Anson, General James Edward Oglethorpe).
An interruption to the city plan
occurs on Abercorn Street.
Lafayette Ward, Lafayette Square (1837- Revolutionary War hero):
A sundial and fountain are found in Lafayette Square.
Calhoun Ward, Calhoun Square (1851- John C. Calhoun, senator and Secretary of War under President Madison).
Warren Ward, Warren Square (1790- Gen. Joseph Warren, killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill).
Columbia Ward, Columbia Square (1799- figurative name for America). Columbia Square holds a fountain relocated from Wormsloe Plantation.
An interruption to the city plan
occurs on Habersham Street.
Troup Ward, Troup Square (1851- George Michael Troup, GA governor & US senator): Troup Square features an armillary sphere. This is one of only two squares named for living persons.
Wesley Ward, Whitefield Square (1851- John Wesley, Founder of Methodism and George Whitefield, founder of Bethesda): This square is the location of a gazebo.
Abercorn Street at the Battle of Bunker Hill).
Colonial Park Cemetery occupies the space which should have been the third squares on Abercorn and Habersham Streets.
Greene Ward, Greene Square (1791- Gen. Nathanael Greene).
Crawford Ward, Crawford Square (1841- William Harris Crawford, US senator, minister to France, Secretary of the Treasury, and presidential candidate). Sometimes called “the Playground Square,” Crawford Square contains playground equipment and basketball courts.
Franklin 1790 Washington).
Savannah’s Wards and Their Squares
The McKinnon Map showing the first six wards, the five-acre garden plots, and the 40-acre garden plots.