Unit 4. By Yu Hong. A Turn in Life. Chengdu Textile College. Contents. Lead-in Section A : The Great TV Turn-off Section B : Ahead of the Game Section C : Writing Timetables (2). Lead-in. Introducing the topic. Exploring the topic. Introduction.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
By Yu Hong
A Turn in Life
Chengdu Textile College
What would you do if you couldn’t watch TV for a week? Panic might be your first reaction, but you would soon find there are many things to do other than to watch TV. Read the following story—it might inspire you to turn off your TV for at least a week.
1. There are few people who do not watch TV now. DO you like watching TV? Besides watching TV, what else do you do in your spare time? Many people say they cannot imagine what life would be like without TV. Discuss with your classmates what are the advantages and disadvantages of TV.
The Great TV Turn-off
Discuss the following questions.
“it’s an experiment,” my mother said, “to see what families do when there’s no TV to watch. We’re all supposed to keep a _______of what it’s like to _______without TV for a week.”
“Couldn’t we do _______ other kind of experiment? I’d rather find ______ how long I can ________ being at the dentist’s, as _______ as I can watch TV while I’m there.”
Listen to the tape and fill in the blanks.
Read the questions and complete the answers.
It is a project done by the library to see _____________________________________________.
He ________________________________________. That’s why he said, ”I was not impressed.”
He felt ____________________________.
what families do when there is no TV to watch
Did not like the idea first
He _______________ on Thursday, ________________ on Friday, set up ______________ on Saturday, and helped his mother ___________ on Sunday.
He came to realize that other than to watch TV, ____________________________________.
borrowed two books
A yard sale
there was also something better to do
Read the passage and try to catch the main idea. What will you do if you haven’t a TV? The following words may help you.
shift, indoor and outdoor activities, couch potato, reading, going out with friends, chatting
This passage is a funny story about a family’s one week without TV.
This family carries out an experiment to see what people will do without TV. For the whole week, the kid keeps a diary on his life in this week and finally he realizes that he might just find something better to do besides watching TV.
My mother gave me the bad news on Monday morning.
“No television this week, Teddy,” she said with a smile, “We’re taking part in the library’s Great TV Turn-off.”
“We’re what?” I asked. I was not impressed.
“It’s an experiment,” my mother said, “to see what families do when there’s no TV to watch. We’re all supposed to keep a diary of what it’s like to go without TV for a week.”
“Couldn’t we do some other kind of experiment? I’d rather find out how long I can take being at the dentist’s, as long as I can watch TV while I’m there.”
“sorry, Ted,” my mother said. “The librarians are very interested in the results of this project.”
I watched sadly as my mother put a sign on the TV that warned, “DO NOT WATCH THIS TV IF YOU VALUE YOU LIFE.”
I valued my life plenty, so I didn’t touch the TV when I came home from school that day.
That night, I went to bed early and opened the diary my mother had given me to write in. What else was there to do?
Monday: I’m drawing a blank! This just seems cruel.
There wasn’t a whole lot to write in my diary the next day either, but I did it anyway.
Tuesday: Got tired of staring at DO NOT WATCH TV sign. Went outside. Found some old boards and built a house with Dan and Ray. After supper, I cleaned my room without being asked. I must be going mad.
By Wednesday, I was in the habit of writing in my diary.
Wednesday: Blew the dust off some old games on the shelf. Invited Dan and Ray to come over and play them.
Thursday: I got around to working on a painting I had been neglecting. It’s actually starting to look pretty good.
Friday: Broke down and walked downtown to that place—the library. Checked out two mysteries.
Saturday: I don’t think I can handle this any longer! Tell me, what is there to do on a Saturday morning besides watching TV?
Late Saturday: Finally found something to do—cleaned out my room. My mother said it was okay to set up a yard sale outside. I sold almost all of my old things!
Sunday: Took the money from the yard sale downtown. Bought two model planes and two mysteries. Later, I helped my mother make a chocolate cake, and ate some while reading the mysteries.
Monday: Your faithful diary-writer has amazed himself! My mother just reminded me that this is the end of the Great Turn-off. I don’t think I’ll turn on the TV today, though—I’ve got this mystery I want to finish reading.
Maybe the Great TV Turn-off has changed me. I might watch TV tomorrow—or I might not. I might just find something better to do.
e.g. – 一I was not impressed. 我可不太喜欢这个主意。
impress: vt. 留下深刻的印象，压印
- The visitors are deeply impressed by the beautiful views.
- I have a ring with my name impressed on it.
e.g. …what it’s like to go without TV for a week.
- What’s it like to walk in the rain without an umbrella?
- She really wants to know what it is like to be famous singer.
e.g. How long I can take being at the dentist’s, as long as I can watch TV.
Here “the dentist’s” refers to “the dentist’s office”. Other examples of the similar are: the hairdresser’s, the butcher’s.
- The woman went to see a dentist to help her deal with her toothache.
e.g. – Monday: I am drawing a blank!
- Sharon searched her mind butdrew a blank.
-The local policedrew a blankin finding any witnesses. .
e.g. – I did it anyway.
- This year we had poor crops of wheat, but we could expect a good corn harvest anyway.
- I know it’s raining heavily, but you’ll have to come here right now anyway.
e.g. – after supper, I cleaned my room without being asked.
- My daughter will bring me a cup of water without being asked.
- I would bring him the right food without being asked.
e.g. – I must be going mad.
- It is wet outside, so it must have rained last night.
- I think she must be mad at me.
e.g. – I was in the habit of writing in my diary.
- I was in the habit of getting up at 5 every morning.
- Some media are in the habit of exposing the private lives of famous people.
get around to:find time for 找时间做
- I meant to visit her, but I never got around to it.
- Being busy with their research work, John and Carol did not get around to marrying for another ten weeks.
e.g. – …a painting I had been neglecting.
- Don’t neglect your watering as some of the flowers need to be watered every day.
- Many men run after success, and often neglect their wives and children.
e.g. – Broke down and walked downtown to that place.
- On hearing the news, the poor mother broke down in tears.
- Can I use your computer, as mine has broken down again?
e.g. – Finally found something to do—cleaned out my room.
- They had cleaned out the shelves and cupboards before they moved.
- I clean out the freezer every day.
e.g. – Your faithful diary-writer has amazed himself!
- He is faithful in word and deed.
- Do you think the film adaptation was faithful to the book?
Faulty: A Japanese man asks an American passenger whether the airport has a luggage-trolley service. He wants to say that there is not only a trolley service, but that it is free!
Clear: A Japanese man asks an American passenger whether the airport has a luggage-trolley service. The American wants to say that there is not only a trolley service, but that it is free!
Faulty: Everything from your sex, racial background, social class and communication style all influences his body language.
Clear: Everything fro your sex, racial background, social class and communication style all influences your body language.
Ahead of the Game
Discuss with your partner about the problem of the man in this text and how he overcomes it.
Answer the following questions.
1. How did the author’s friend feel after he broke up with his girlfriend?
A. He felt free.
B. He lost self-confidence.
C. He became disappointed.
D. He felt painful.
3. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as one of his ways to hide his thinning top during a date?
4. How did the author help his friend to get back to the normal dating world?
5. What can we tell about the author from this story?
A friend of mine was suffering from a lack of self-confidence after the end of a particularly difficult relationship. He was a bit concerned about returning to the dating world, worried that he had “lost his touch” with women.
Unfortunately, soon after ending his previous relationship, he began to lose his hair, and he saw this as a sign from above that he was supposed to be alone for the rest of his life. “Who is going to want to date a man without hair?” he said to me. He was convinced that good hair was the ticket to a successful relationship. “What will she run her fingers through now?” he asked sadly. “The skin on top of my head.”
When he finally started asking women out again, he only took them to locations where a cap was acceptable—playing in the park, walking the dog, or any kind of sporting event where he could successfully hide his thinning top. This worked out fine for a while, but there are only so many sporting events to go to, and only so many sunny days to walk the dog.
One of the many great aspects of my friend’s character is that he really loves going out for a nice dinner. Back in college, we enjoyed many nights at the most expensive restaurants in town, spending too much money on bottles of wine and delicious food. Unfortunately, none of these restaurants allow caps to be worn. Hearing this, my friend was once again disappointed. Then, one day, he received a note in the mail saying that he had won a free dinner for two at a lovely new restaurant located in the business center of town.
“Congratulations!” the letter read. “You and a guest have been chosen to sample and enjoy our wonderful cooking and atmosphere. Please find the enclosed gift certificate for fifty dollars!” My friend was delighted! Jumping up and down with happiness, he thought out loud about what to wear, wondered if there was a woman out there who couldn’t be disappointed by his bare head.
After worrying for a few minutes, my friend shouted out, “I’m going!” Jumping up from his seat, he took on that all-too-familiar glow on his face as he quickly glanced through his address book for a possible date. At last, he landed on Sarah, the woman whom he had been interested in, from a distance, for months. He sat down in his favorite chair, dialed her number confidently, and asked her to join him—she accepted without even hesitating.
A few nights later, dressed to the nines and without a cap in sight, he and Sarah shared a perfect evening and have been wonderfully in love ever since.
That was the best fifty dollars I’ve spent in a very long time!
e.g. – ahead of the game
- Look out. There is danger ahead.
- It was reported that the world in the years ahead would be more crowded, more polluted and less stable ecologically than the world we live in now.
e.g. – ahead of the game
- They finished their work ahead of time as we did our.
- The girl got well ahead of the rest of the class in painting.
e.g. – A friend of mine was suffering from a lack of self-confidence.
- The party suffered a heavy defeat in the general election.
- Deaf people suffer from the problem of being unable to hear sounds.
e.g. – he was a bit concerned about returning to the dating world.
- Is it a waste of time to be concerned about other‘s troubles.
- His mother has been concerned about her all the time， but he seems not to care at all.
e.g. – soon after ending his previous relationship, he began to …
- The previous century produced many great artists.
- The writer has published two novels previous to this.
e.g. – he saw this as a sign from above.
- He was hurt by a board which fell from above.
- She dreamed of a smart man last night and she saw this as a sign from above.
e.g. – he was convinced that good hair was the ticket to a successful relationship.
- They’re convinced that the picture is genuine.
- The police were convinced that the girl had been murdered.
e.g. – Good hair was the ticket to a successful relationship
- He believes that love is the ticket to a successful marriage.
- The heavy rain last night was the ticket to my garden.
e.g. – This worked out fine for a while, but there are only so many sporting events to go to...
- Things did not work out as they had expected.
- She tried to increase her English vocabulary by learning three new words and this worked out.
e.g. – a new restaurant located in the business center
- A new factory is to be located in this area.
- X-rays are used to locate breaks in bones.
e.g. – Please find the enclosed gift certificate for fifty dollars!
- Enclosed is an important book.
- They enclosed their yard with a fence.
- Do you know how it feels to put your bare feet on the hot sand?
- There is a bare possibility that he would come back to China.
- Don’t bare your skin to the sun too much.
e.g. – he took on that all-too-familiar glow on his face as he ... 脸上又浮现出了在熟悉不过的飞扬神采。
- With the spring flowers, the city with a long history is now taking on another look.
- Single-parent children often take on some of the housework.
- There was a glow of satisfaction on his face when he saw his pay roll.
- Some natural matter can glow with light in the dark.
- He was glowing with pride when the teacher praised him.
e.g. – at last, he landed on Sarah, the woman …
- He looked at the magazine cover and landed on a familiar name .
- He found her eyes landed on him with a concerned look.
e.g. – she accepted without even hesitating.
- If I were you, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy that jacket.
- In case you need something, please don’t hesitate to ask me.
e.g. – a few nights later, dressed to the nines and without a cap in sight, he and Sarah…
- Are we going to dress to the nines?
- All parents dress their children to the nines during the Spring Festival.
1. particularly 2. relationship 3. previous
4. convinced 5. delicious 6. located
7. delighted 8. confident
1. from 2. about 3. out 4. with
5. On 6. on 7. from 8. in
Read the following humors for fun.
I’m her father
A stand-looking gentleman was upset at the dress of some young people on the street. “Just look at that one,” he barked to a bystander. “Is it a boy or a girl?”
“It’s a girl. She’s my daughter.”
“Oh, forgive me,” apologized the man. “I didn’t know you were her mother.”
“I’m not,” snapped the bystander. “I’m her father.”
“What shall I do?” a young man looking to get married asked his friend. “Every girl I bring home to meet my parents, my mother doesn't like.” “Oh, that's easy,” his friend replied. “All you have to do is to find someone who is just like your mother.” “I did that already,” he said, “and that one my father didn't like.”
Read and understand the following samples.
China Southwest Airline Flight Timetable
Destination Weekdays Departure Arrival Flight airplane
Bangkok 4 07:00 08:00 SZ4407 757
1/3/5 07:28 08:35 SZ4407 757
Beijing 1/5 07:10 09:30 SZ4605 737
1/2/3/4/5/6 09:00 11:10 SZ4101 757
1/2/3/4/5/6 11:00 13:10 SZ4107 757
Schedule for the visit of Mr. Smith to the leyton Factory
9:00 am arrival
9:05-9:45am meeting with the Overseas Sales Manager
9:45-10:15am coffee with the Marketing Director
10:15-11:45am Demonstration of the No. 4 Model
11:45-12:40pm meeting with the Managing Director
12:40-2:30pm lunch with the Overseas Sales Manager
语言特点：不使用完整的句子而是用名词短语或分词替代以求简练。如：Car to International House; Meeting with Vice Director.
Discussing business report with General Manager
Meeting sales representatives
Flying to Chongqing at 4:40pm
Meeting leaders of suppliers at 2:00pm
________________________Tom’s one-week schedule
writing business report
having sales meeting
meeting John at 9:30am
attending conference at 10am
flying to Shanghai at 2:45pm
I've been thinking for a long time about what we do in our life...
how to become good citizens.
We spend a great part of our
and finally we get the diploma that will
ensure us “the position we deserve”.
...until we find a job.
Through hard tests we are
accepted in the world of work.
filled with activity and efforts
…a lot, a lot of efforts...
till we fall down exhausted...
BUT we are great professionals
with our valuable market share.
of our life...
and here comes
a baby into our
couldn’t close my eyes!
the best of
We keep on advancing
in the society
and we are finally
We are the stars
wherever we go
But we need
some time more
to triumph completely.
they can do
By this time,
you think getting
you feel you
lost means of
does not pass
still you are
You realise you are
cut off from everything.
you’ve been living
in the fog
in search of
a silly target.
trying to escape
You are the
longing for the
hours to pass
till your time
came to my mind
on how to improve my life.
I'll try to open
to my love.
I'll listen more
to the ones
I'll save more time
to spend it
with my friends.
karaoke I'll never do,
but I believe
I'll sing more.
to the seaside.
I'll make my best
to cook tasty food.
A bit love more.
I'll be happier
to get news
from my friends...
what you want, but I am
a nice guy!”
I can’t be sure,
but I believe
it worths trying.
a glass more.
clean the world
from nasty people.
And I hope
they won’t stop me
when my time
I do not know whether it is good for everybody, but
I’m sure that at least I will have had a wonderful time… which by the way is what counts more.
DON’T YOU THINK SO?