Combine the following sentences, using attributive clause and some conjunctions. Li Hua is a student. She is a girl. She is 16. Her dad is a teacher. Her mother is a teacher,too. She is our monitor. She is very strict with us. This makes us angry. We all like her.
Li Hua, a girl student of 16, whose parents are both teachers , is our monitor. She is very strict with us, which makes us angry, but we all like her.
Zhang Manyu is a Chinese. She is an actress. She is famous. She is from HongKong. She acted many films. HERO is one of the films. Zhang Manyu , who is a famous Chinese actress from HongKong, acted many films, one of which is HERO.
red green small big apple The apple which is red is mine. The apple which is green is yours. The apple which is red is small The apple which is green is big.
handsome tall strong clever naughty boy The boy is Tom. The boy who is handsome is Tom. The boywho is tall is Tom. The boywho is strong is Tom The boywho is clever is Tom The boywho is naughty is Tom.
The boy is Tom. The boy is smiling. The boy who is smiling is Tom. (主语) The boy is Tom. The boy has a round face. The boywho has a round face is Tom. The boy is Tom. He sits in front of me. The man who sits in front of me is Tom.
The man is kind. Everyone likes him. The man (who) everyone likes is kind. (宾语) The woman got the job. We saw her on the street. The woman (whom) we saw on the street got the job. The teacher will give us a talk. We met the teacher yesterday. The teacher (whom) we met yesterday will give us a talk.
The boy is in the lab. You want to talk to him. The boy (whom) you want to talk to is in the lab. The boy to whom you want to talk is in the lab. This is the boy. I sit behind him. This is the boy (whom) I sit behind. This is the boy behind whom I sit.
The lady stepped on his foot. He was dancing with the lady. The lady (whom) he was dancing with stepped on his foot. Do you know the man? You will visit him today. Do you know the man whom you will visit today?
关系代词: 1. who指人,作主语或宾语 (作宾语可省略） The man who I talked with is our teacher. A person who steals things is called a thief. 2. whom指人,作宾语 (作宾语可省略, 如介词提前则不能省) The man (whom/who) I nodded to is Mr. Li. The man to whom I nodded is Professor Li. 3.當先行詞是those, she ,he ,they等代詞時,關係代詞用who. Thosewho were late for class raise your hands.
Mrs. Clark is angry with the goat. The goat is eating her flowers. Mrs. Clark is angry with the goat which is eating her flowers. Can you lend me the book? You talked about it last night. Can you lend me the book (which) you talked about last night. Can you lend me the book about which you talked last night?
Do you find the pen? I wrote with it just now. Do you find the pen (which) I wrote with just now? Do you find the pen with which I wrote just now?
3. which 指物，作主语或宾语(作宾语可省略, 如介词提前则不能省) These are the trees which were planted last year. This recorder （which）he is using is made in Japan. Is this the library (which) you borrow books from? Is this the library from which you borrow books?
that 指人/物，作主语或宾语 (作宾语可省略） A plane is a machine. It can fly. A plane is a machine that can fly. He is the man. I told you about him. He is the man (that) I told you about.
that和which/who一般都可以互换, 但在下列情况下,一般用that而不用which/who。 (1) 先行词为all, everything, nothing, something, anything, little, much 等不定代词时。 I am sure she has something(that)you can borrow. (2)先行词被all, every, no, some, any, little, much等 修饰时。 I’ve read all the books that are not mine. (3)先行词被序数词或最高级修饰时。 This is the first book (that) he has read. (4)先行词被the only, the very, the same, the last修饰时。 This is the very book that belongs to him.
(5) 先行词是who或who引导的主句。Who is the girlthat drove the car? Who that broke the window will be punished. • (6) 主句以There be 引导时There are 200 people that didn’t know the thing. • (7) 当先行词在定语从句中作be表语時，关系代词用that. She isn’t the girlthat she was 10 years ago. • (8)当先行词是which时，关系代词用that. • Which is the book that you bought last week?
Is this the library from which you borrow books? from that 4.that 指人/物，作主语或宾语 (作宾语可省略） A plane is a machine that can fly. He is the man (that) I told you about. 注意：介词提前时只能用which 而不能用that 。
(1) The scientist is very famous in the world. We met her yesterday. The scientist Ø we met yesterday is very famous who in the world. whom that (2) The dress is new. She is wearing it. The dress that she is wearing is new. which Ø
(3) He is the kind person. I have ever worked with him. He is the kind person that I have ever worked with. who whom Ø (4) This is the best film. I have ever seen this film. This is the best film that I have ever seen. Ø
that和which在指物的情况下一般都可以互换, 但在下列情况下,一般用which而不用that。 • (1) 关系代词在限制性定语从句中紧跟介词作宾语（介词提前） Those are many trees underwhich they can have a rest. • (2) 在非限制性定语从句中 Football,which is a very popular game, is played all over the world.
whose在定语从句中作定语，表示引导词 与 whose后的名词为所属关系。whose 多指人，也可指物，指物时可与 of which 互换使用。 This is the book whose cover is blue. This is the book of which the cover is blue.
Do you know the girl? Her hair is very short in our class. He is the student. I broke his pencil yesterday. Do you know the girl whose hair is very short in our class? He is the student whose pencil I broke yesterday.
Mr King, whose legs were badly hurt, was quickly taken to hospital. We shall make a decision about Ms King, whose story I have told you. Mr King was quickly taken to hospital. Her legs were badly hurt. Her We shall make a decision about Ms King. I have told you her story. her
This teacher is liked by all the students. I work with her son. The chair is being repaired now. The legs of the chair are broken. This teacher, with whose son I work, is liked by all the students. The chair whose legs are broken is being repaired now. The chair, the legs of which are broken, is being repaired now.
复习定语从句中的关系副词： when, where, why
when在定语从句中作时间状语，相当于“介词+ 关系代词（which）”。 where在定语从句中作地点状语，相当于“介词+ 关系代词（which）”。 I’ll never forget the day when I joined the league. on which This is the house where I lived two years ago. in which
why在定语从句中作原因状语，相当 于“介词for+ 关系代词（which）”。 Do you know the reason why she was late. It rained heavily, for which he was late for the class.
限制性定语从句和非限制性定语从句： The man who came here yesterday has come again. My sister, who is twenty, works in a bank. 限制性定语从句是先行词在意义上不可缺少的定语， 如果去掉，主句的意思就不完整或失去意义。这种从 句和主句关系十分密切， 写时不用逗号分开。 非限制性定语从句和主句关系不很密切，只是对先 行词作些附加说明， 如果去掉，主句的意思仍然清楚。 这种从句， 写时往往逗号分开。
that which • Fill in the blanks with suitable relative pronouns. • 1. This is the only book ____ I got last year. • 2. Is this the book in ____ you are interested? • 3. This is the largest animal ____ Tom saw in the zoo. • 4. Rose still remembers the trees and teachers____ exist (存在)in the mother school. • 5. All the desks ____ are bought look really wonderful. • 6. Do you have any money ____is used to build the factory? • 7. Tom has a toy, ____ was given by his father. • 8. This is the second watch ____ my father bought for me. that that that that which that
指出关系代词（副词）在定语从句中的成份： 1.The man who came to our school is Mr. Wang. ( ) 2.The girl (whom) I met is Lucy. ( ) 3.A child whose parents are dead is called Tom. ( ) 4.I like the book (which) you bought yesterday. ( ) 主语 宾语 定语 宾语 Have a try
5. His parents wouldn’t let him marry anyone whose family was poor. ( ) 6. I like the person to whom you just talked. ( ) 7. We shall never forget the days (that) we spent together. ( ) 8. We shall never the days when we lived together. ( ) 定语 介宾 宾语 状语 Have a try
定语从句专练 • Who is the scientist____ is to give us a talk tomorrow? • A. that B. who C. which D. whom • 2. This is the door ____ the key is lost. • A. that B. which C. of which D. to which • 3. I, ____your good friend, will never fool you. • A. who is B. who are C. who am D. that is • 4. There were two small rooms in the house, ____ served as a kitchen. • A.the smaller of which • B. the smallest of which • C. the smaller of them • D. smaller of that • 5. After living in Paris for fifty years he went back to the small town____he grew up as a child. • A. which B. where C. that D. when A D C A B
D 6. This is the only thing ____she takes pride all her life. A. that B. which C. on which D. in which 7. Is this novel ____ you borrowed from the library the day before yesterday? A. that B. which C. the one D. / 8. He has got a gold pen ____ he spent $ 100. A. on which B. for which C. on that D. that 9. Do you still remember the days ____ we spent in the country three years ago? A. that B. when C. in which D. as 10. They had a long talk about the persons and things ____ they both knew. A. whom B. what C. that D. which C A A C
A 11. That is the very book ____ I have been hunting for all the time. A. that B. which C. what D. as 12. It was an exciting moment for these football fans this years, ____ for the first time in years their team won the World Cup. A. that B. while C. which D. when 13. The desks ____ were broken ____ already. A. which legs; have repaired B. whose legs; have been repaired C. which legs; have been repaired D. those legs; have repaired D B
副词when 和 where引导定语从句专练 • I also enjoyed the years _____we played in the countryside • together. • A. which B. that C. when D. on which • The town ____we visited last month is the one ____the famous • painter was born. • A. where;which B. which;where • C. in which;that D. where;where • The place _____I grew up is a beautiful town. • A.where B.from which C.that D.which • That’s the hotel____last year. • A.which we stayed B. at which we stayed • C. where we stayed at D.where we stayed in • 5. I’ll never forget the days_____I spent a four-day holiday together with my teacher. • A. which B.when C. what D. where C B A B B
6. They want to hold a meeting in the house____David lives. A. when B. at which C. where D. which 7. I am going to spend my summer vacation in London,____my grandparents. A. which live B. where live C. which lives D. where lives 8. I told my boyfriend the year____I was born and the place ____ I was brought up. A. when;where B. which;which C. when;on which D.on which;where 9. Can you remember the first place ____ Lincoln worked? A. which B. when C. where D. what C B A C
1. I’m using the pen which he bought it yesterday. 2. Is that factory which your father once worked in? 3. The man whom I spoke is from Canada. 4. July 1,1999 is the day when we’ll never forget. Correct the sentences: (去掉) ^ the one ^ to ____ which
5. I still remember the holidays I stayed with them. 6. I’m going to work in the hospital where needs me. 7. Those that haven’t been to the West Lake will gather at the school gate. 8. I don’t like the way which you talked to your friend. ^ Correct the sentences: when ____ (that/which) who ___ ^ in
10. Soon they came to a farm house,and in front of which sat a small boy. 11. We heard the news which our team won the game. 12. The reason which he explained it sounds reasonable. ____ Correct the sentences: it ____ that ____ why
13. Those at the desk want to buy tickets write down your names. 14. That was the reason because she looked old. 15. Miss Chen is the only one of the few teachers who give us wonderful English lessons in our school. Correct the sentences: ^ who ______ why ____ gives