Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Personal Experience Fuels the Passion for Youth Involvement in Creating Systems Change in Health Policy & Practices. Ginger Payant Champions for Inclusive Communities Mallory Cyr & Patti Hackett Healthy & Ready to Work . Learning Objectives (1).
Champions for Inclusive Communities
Mallory Cyr & Patti Hackett
Healthy & Ready to Work
Qs, As, Sharing?
Who We Are…..
The Ultimate Outcome: Transition to Adulthood
Health Impacts All Aspects of Life
Takes Time & Skills
Meeting Your Needs Today
Taking ACTION post cards
1wk, 30 days, 3 months
to Have Fun!
on the front burner
& the Dx
on the back burner
Not …… “can we”
but …….“how do we”
Same Dx but different
to get hurt.
Universal rite of passage in becoming more independent and self reliant:
Self reliance-health, social, employment
Different circles of friends and contacts
Finding new sources of social and instrumental support
Outcome #6: Youth with special health care needs who receive the services necessary to make appropriate transitions to adult health care, work and independence -- CYSHCN ages 12-17 only (derived)
Question: (C6Q0A_E) Has anyone discussed with you how to obtain or keep some type of health insurance coverage as [CHILD'S NAME] becomes an adult?
Not necessary??? 35.6%
Students on Family Health Plan House Bill 2851
Question: (C6Q08)How often do [CHILD'S NAME]'s doctors or other health care providers encourage
[him/her] to take responsibility for [his/her]
health care needs?
delay the start of transition?
11 statewide projects - Champions for Progress,
precursor to ChampionsInC :
AZ, AL, CO, DE, FL, MI, NM, NV, OH, WI, WY
3. Disconnect between Youth and adult expectations of education and employment opportunities;
4. Youth with SHCN want to be considered like any young adult without special health care needs;
5. Families tend to be unaware of programs and resources that could help;
6. Pediatric & adult health care professionals little experience to communicate /collaborate – don’t know other system parts
7. Systems level coordination between the health care system, education, rehabilitation or insurance systems is very problematic .
YAC- established in Title V (18)
AL, AZ, CA, CT, FL, HI, IA, KY, MA, ME, MI, MS, NY, OH, OR, SC, UT, WI
YAC – with another agency (02)
YAC- planned (12)
GA, IL, KS, MN, NE, NH, NC, ND, OK, TX, WA, WV
there is no “try”.
Mallory H. Cyr