Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Music Lesson Plan For the PBL Unit on Mosquitoes Niki Rinck An Opera
Music Lesson PlanQCC Objectives: 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4, 8.5, 8.6, 8.7, 8.9, 8.10, 8.12, 8.13, 8.14, 8.15, 8.16, 8.17, 8.18, 8.19, 8.20, 8.21, 8.22Theme: Student opera about mosquito control in AugustaLesson Objectives: Create student opera incorporating singing, performing (vocally and instrumentally), composition, reading and notating music, evaluating music and music performances, and understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.Learner Outcomes: Accountability – Students encouraged to believe in themselves, trust themselves, and have fun. Ownership – Students “own” what is written. Ownership equals success. Pride – Stems from hard work and self discipline. Acts as a springboard to other challenging and ultimately rewarding experiences.Assessment: Create, learn, and perform all of the music for the opera and all the dramatiwork that goes along with it.
Introduction: View a previous student opera. Have students split into groups for a mind mapping activity to determine a plot for opera. Each group must come up with a plot associated with mosquito control. Class will vote on most popular.
1) Have students research stories to base opera and to find a way to tie it into the core curriculum.
2) Provide fundamental knowledge of some of the basics of composition.
3) Compose short melody following guidelines (i.e. key, meter, length, note values, range).
4) Small groups of 5 compose their own melodies using various Orff instruments. They in turn will perform these melodies applying chords they have built on the specific key (probably C).
5) Assign roles (major character, supporting character, member of the crowd, light techs, stage techs, props, directors assistants, narrator, musicians).
6) Through class voting, lyrics are decided, melodies are composed and chords chosen. Each class is in charge of one song.
7) Rehearse opera.
8) Perform opera.
Closure: Performance, cast party. Reflect on things that they might do different next time in class. Put together an album of pictures and memorabilia of the performance for the school to view.
Materials: Art instruction, library, area businesses for prop donations, media for advertising
(TV, radio, newspaper)
Hower, E. (1999). Creating an Opera with Seventh Graders. Music Educators Journal. 85(5), 21-25.