Cornerstone of higher education Thinking process? Why? - important Examine life, work toward goals, make decisions, decide career, analyze issues Make sense of the world, our lives Improve thinking abilities – carefully examining your thinking process – challenging activities
Why? - important
Examine life, work toward goals, make decisions, decide career, analyze issues
Make sense of the world, our lives
Improve thinking abilities – carefully examining your thinking process – challenging activities
College – unique opportunity to develop your mind – community – dedicated to learning
Educated thinker – knowledge and skills – adapt
Elevate your understanding of the world, develop insight into your 'self'
Thinking critically and thinking creativelyCritical Thinking
Imagine you are lying in bed with your friends and family all around you. You are gravely ill and about to pass away. Who would be surrounding you? What kind of things are they saying about how you have lived your life? Suppose you could decide how others might sum up your life. Imagine if you could choose who would be there to support you in your final days. How would you like your epitaph to read? Here are some sample epitaphs. Are there any that fit your life? Are there any which might inspire a change in the direction of your life?
- "Nothing's so sacred as honor and nothing's so loyal as love." -Wyatt & Josephine Earp
- "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it" -Karl Marx
- "A genius of comedy, his talent brought joy and laughter to all the world" -Oliver Hardy
Other possible epitaphs:
- Lived adventurously * Died fulfilled.
- She embraced life and followed her dreams to the end.
- "I told you I was sick"
* How do you see people? Are they good? Selfish? Insecure? Fair?
* How do you see life? Is it fair? Surprising? Interesting? Difficult?
* How do you see society? Is it going in the "right" direction? Are there insurmountable problems?
* Do you have strong spiritual beliefs? What are they?
* Do the actions you see every day support how you see people, life, or society?
* Do you feel the world is moving away from your spiritual beliefs?