Comal ISD. Summer 2012 Professional Development Opportunities. Comal ISD Professional Development .
Comal ISD professional development is aligned with National Staff Development Council’s Standards for professional development. We believe that “professional development is the means by which educators acquire or enhance the knowledge, skills, attitudes and beliefs necessary to create high levels of learning for all students”.
Comal ISD is aware that many professional development opportunities are available outside of the normal contract days. Thus, the district has established an Intellectual Interchange program. The exchange day for the 2012-13 is a flex day during the week of August 13-16. Teachers and Campus Professional Staff may attend professional development opportunities that are available during the Summer of 2012 and interchange that training for one day. The interchange day must be approved prior to May 31, 2012 and the workshop/training must be complete prior to August 13, 2012.
The week of August 13-16th is the only time (1 day) that the interchange option may apply. The interchange day cannot be used to opt out of a scheduled district content or grade level specific training.
Examples of appropriate professional development options or activities are as follows:
1. Quality professional development in the professional’s assigned content area is the first priority. Current methodology, EOC/STAAR training, leadership training and differentiation training are examples of appropriate professional development hours for a portion of the required hours.
> Coaching school, and online required trainings such as Blood Borne Pathogens, Sexual Harassment, PDAS, bus driver training, courses in Atomic Learning and required Laying the Foundation and/or AP Institute training will not count for exchange credit.
2. Six hours of technology or content specific online courses or video conference courses can be used as an exchange day provided that participants provide completed assessments and certification documentation.
(See note above concerning Atomic Learning and required online modules.)
3. College credit hours may count toward optional exchange day credit with the following guidelines:> 3 college credit hours within the teacher’s professional assignment or 3 college credit hours toward additional certification outside of instructional assignment=6 hours of exchange time. Transcript or grade report will serve as documentation of completion and must be scanned in Eduphoria.
4. G/T 30 - hour Summer Institute, ESL academy , content specific conferences such as CAMT, KTOT, or TAHPERD.
6. Principal approved ESC Region XIII or Region XX workshops and training will count toward the optional exchange day requirement with principal approval.
Interchange Day Guidelines:
The Personal Professional Development Plan (“Interchange Form”) must be completed in Eduphoria prior to May 31, 2012.
All Interchange qualifying training must be pre-approved by the campus principal.
Staff cannot receive Interchange day credit for any session in which they are paid to present or attend (a stipend, extra duty pay or an honorarium).
All Interchange day training should take place between June 3 and August 10, 2012.
If the training is offered within Comal ISD, the teacher should register for the training in Eduphoria.
For non-Comal ISD trainings, documentation must be collected and submitted to the campus administrator after the training is complete, but no later than August 16.