Unit 3. Economy (I). Presentation Homework check Journalistic knowledge: the lead Chinadaily News: March 14, 2008 VOA financial reports Google Goes Public China’s Economic Growth Training focus: understanding numbers. Key:.
A news article usually consists of three parts: the headline, the lead, and the body.
The lead is the introductory portion of a news story. It displays in a significant way the most important elements in the news, such as the 5 “W”s and 1 “H” .
The purpose of writing a lead is to capture the readers’ attention with simple but vivid language.
The lead can be a sentence or several sentences, a paragraph or several paragraphs.
South Korean doctor Jong Wook Lee has been named the new director-general of the World Health Organization.
句子十分简单，但已包含了主要的信息：谁？（Jong Wook Lee）发生什么事了？(has been named the new director-general) 什么组织？（WHO) 他是哪里人？（South Korea）导语还告诉我么他是一个博士。可谓麻雀虽小，五脏俱全。
---what, where, when
---who, what, how
--- what, where, when
--- when, what
--- who, what, when
The main interest rate is often expressed in percentage. For example, 3.5% is “ three point five percent”. 3—5% (三到五个百分点）is “three and five points percent”. Pay attention to the pronunciation of the word “points”, it can be easily misunderstood.
2. Huge numbers different, but what remains the same is Clinton’s popularity with women. And the Clinton campaign is hoping to
十万（100，000）：one hundred thousand
Remember, “一亿”(100,000,000) in English is “one hundred million”, while “one billion”means “十亿”(1,000,000,000), it can also be read as “one thousand million”. “十三亿”can be read as “one point three billion”
It is one of the most powerful Internet search engine. different, but what remains the same is Clinton’s popularity with women. And the Clinton campaign is hoping to
Two young men, Sergey Brin and larry Page, started Google in 1998.
People find it easy to use.
4. What did the company announce last month? different, but what remains the same is Clinton’s popularity with women. And the Clinton campaign is hoping to
5. Who may gain the most from the sale, according to the report? Why ?
It announced that it wanted to become a public company.
Mr. Brin and Mr. Page. Each man owns 15% of the company.
They were students at SU.
It was not the first.
T are true or false. (p40)
More than 100 million dollars.
4. Google offers free search service. ( )
5. The profit they made in 2003 is one-thousand-million dollars. ( )
6. The company hope to raise about two-thousand-seven-hundred-million dollars. ( )
7. Google has released enough information about the company before the sale. ( )
8. The price for the shares has been set while the date when they will be sold is not known. ( )
Some business experts have criticized it for not releasing…
It has not set a price or the date…
pay are true or false. (p40)
4. Companies ____ google ____ _____ someone _____ it to connect with their __________.
5. The company made almost __________ in 2003.
6. Its profit was more than ____________.
7. This means that google will sell its ______ _______ to the public.
8. The company hopes to raise about ___________ this way.
go public 上市
例句：The company is going public next month. 这家公司下月发行股票。
比较：in public 当众、公开地
注意report中出现的与电脑网络有关的词：user link Web page search for search engine electronic communications system electronic document internet
depend on 取决于
例句：The training takes a variable time, depending on the chosen specialty.
例句：She’s got all her money in stocks and shares.
股票升：shares go up/rise
股票跌：shares fall/go down/drop/jump
raise 筹集、召集例句：We are trying to raise funds for the Red Cross.
criticize … for… 因某事批评某人
例句：Doctors have criticized the government for failing to invest enough in the health service.医生们批评政府对 健康服务的投入不够。
例句：Don’t release this news to the public until we give you the go-ahead.
比较：The hijackers released three of the hostages. 劫机犯释放了三名人质。
rising are true or false. (p40)
gross domestic product
one hundred million
one thousand million
four thousand million
two thousand seven hundred million
several thousand million
…since the dot-com bubble burst.