departing the jet programme n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Departing the JET Programme PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Departing the JET Programme

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 14
nell

Departing the JET Programme - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

64 Views
Download Presentation
Departing the JET Programme
An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. Departing the JET Programme *Please follow along with your copy of the Fukuoka JET Returners Handbook 2011 April 18, 2011 Fukuoka ALT Meeting Presented by Alexander Blamberg

  2. Visa (pp. 17-18) • You must leave Japan before your visa expires • 1st & 2nd years – likely valid beyond contract • 3rd years – likely expiring this summer • 4th & 5th years –probably valid beyond contract

  3. Visa pt. 2 • Valid visa ≠ OK to stay • Automatic 90 day sightseeing allowance • Expiring visa → Apply for temporary visa • Must leave within 30 days to receive airfare

  4. Insurance (p. 9) • National Health Insurance • Expires same day as contract • Must submit insurance card to CO • JET Accident Insurance Policy • Valid until you leave Japan or August 31

  5. Salary • Final paycheck in July • July 21 for most JETs • Includes salary for days worked in August • Return airfare • Final Statement of Earnings • (gensen choushuuhyou 源泉徴収表) • Necessary for filing taxes in home country

  6. Return Airfare (p. 15) • CO will provide your return airfare if: • You complete current contract • You don’t enter into a new contract in Japan within 30 days • You leave Japan within 30 days • Flight should be as direct as possible with minimal transfers

  7. Pension Refund (pp. 11-14) • Detailed info in Handbook and GIH • Designate Tax Representative before leaving • Apply after returning home • First receive 80% • Tax rep will help retrieve remaining 20% • Whole process takes 6-18 months • Turn in Alien Registration Card at airport!

  8. Sending Stuff Home (pp. 24-26) • Several options listed in Handbook • Average cost 1-man per box • Slower methods = cheaper • Special services for books, etc. • Start packing now

  9. Utilities (pp. 27-28) • Contact utilities companies 1 month before • Make appointment to come on moving day • School/BOE may be able to assist • Cell phone, internet, bank account • Don’t forget about memberships!

  10. Clean-up • Clean apartment before leaving • Make comfortable for successor to move in • Pay for any damages • Apartment check on last day

  11. Successor (p. 5-6) • Decided between late-May and late-June • Ask supervisor for contact details • Selling apartment items • Be fair, account for depreciation • Successor not obligated to buy • Provide information • Be helpful and objective • See Handbook and GIH for suggestions

  12. Additional Resources • Post-JET Employment/Education (pp. 30-38) • Also: Conference for Returning JETs files online • Saying Goodbye (pp. 39-43) • Checklist (p. 48)

  13. Q&A

  14. Final Advice Start planning now! You don’t want to rush the end of your JET experience.