soil nutrients l.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Soil Nutrients PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Soil Nutrients

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 20

Soil Nutrients - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 214 Views
  • Uploaded on

Soil Nutrients. By:. Objectives. Know the definition of deficiency, nutrient, toxicity, macronutrient, micronutrient. Identify the plant deficiencies from pictures Evaluate a plant to identify the nutrient absorption rate. . Terms and Definitions.

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'Soil Nutrients' - morrison


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
objectives
Objectives
  • Know the definition of deficiency, nutrient, toxicity, macronutrient, micronutrient.
  • Identify the plant deficiencies from pictures
  • Evaluate a plant to identify the nutrient absorption rate.
terms and definitions
Terms and Definitions
  • Nutrient – Element necessary for plant growth and reproduction.
  • Deficiency – Plant condition where an essential nutrient is not sufficiently available.
  • Micronutrient – Nutrient needed in smaller quantities
terms and definitions4
Macronutrient – Nutrient needed in larger quantities

Toxicity – A point that is reached where too much of a nutrient becomes poisonous

Terms and Definitions
primary and secondary nurtrients
Primary and Secondary Nurtrients
  • Nitrogen
  • Phosphorus
  • Potassium
  • Calcium
  • Magnesium
  • Sulfur
nitrogen functions
Nitrogen Functions
  • Gives plants the green coloring
  • Makes up 1% to 4% of plant’s harvested material
  • Induces vigorous, rapid growth in plants
  • 98% of the planet’s nitrogen is in the primary rock of the Earth, the remaining 2% is in the atmosphere
  • Most readily absorbed
nitrogen deficiency symptoms
Nitrogen Deficiency Symptoms
  • Chlorosis – Yellowing in color of leaves
  • Plant growth is stunted
phosphorus
Phosphorus
  • Stimulates root growth
  • Important for plant cells genetic material and energy transfer with ATP

3rd most readily absorbed

phosphorus deficiency symptoms
Phosphorus Deficiency Symptoms
  • Stunted Growth
  • Purplish coloring of leaves
potassium
Potassium
  • Production and translocation of carbohydrates
  • Water intake and respiration
  • Stiffens stalks and straws
  • 2nd most readily absorbed
potassium deficiency symptoms
Potassium Deficiency Symptoms
  • Shorter and weaker plants
  • Bronzing or a browning of leaf color
magnesium
Magnesium
  • Vital for photosynthesis
  • Chlorophyll or the green coloring of the plant
  • Needed for protein synthesis
magnesium deficiency symptoms
Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms
  • Leaves curl along the margins
  • Leaf parts show a whitish color
calcium
Calcium
  • Gives plant strength
  • Stimulates formation of nitrates
  • Promotes root and leaf growth
calcium deficiency symptoms
Calcium Deficiency Symptoms
  • Chlorosis beginning in the leaf edges and moving inward
  • Terminal buds become distorted
sulfur
Sulfur
  • Stimulates seed production
  • Necessary for nodule formation on legumes
  • Affects protein and crop quality
sulfur deficiency symptoms
Sulfur Deficiency Symptoms
  • Similar symptoms to that of a nitrogen deficiency
  • Stunted appearance
micronutrients in plants
Micronutrients in Plants
  • Iron
  • Maganese
  • Boron
  • Molybdenum
  • Copper
  • Zinc
  • Chlorine
references
References

Laca, Andrew. “Ag Lesson Plans in Power Point”. Soil Furtility. 19 May 2001. Glen Rose FFA, Glen Rose., USA. 27 Feb 2005 <http://www.glenroseffa.org/lesson%20plans.htm>

Primal Seeds. 26 Oct 2002. 27 Feb 2005 <http://www.primalseeds.org/nutrients>

Nutrient Deficiency Symptoms on Agronomic Crops. 12 June 2002. 27 Feb 2005 <http://www.nrs.mcgill.ca/whalen/nutrient/symptom.html>