Cancer Medicine Approval In NHS North East. Steve Williamson Consultant Pharmacist Northern Cancer Network & Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust. North Of England Cancer Drug Approvals Group. Who are we? What are we doing? What Lessons have we learnt? What Challenges do we all face?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Northern Cancer Network
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust
Summary of Application Process
Local Chemotherapy Group
Approval Group Membership:
2 Network Chairs (rotating)
2 Network Directors
2 Clinical Reps NCN
2 Clinical Reps CCA
2 Network Medical Directors
2 Network Pharmacists
1 SHA Executive Director
1 SHA Communications Lead
2 Network Patient Reps
5 PCT Executive Directors
(1 Cumbria, 4 from joint SHA area)
2 Public Health Reps
Imminent NICE Appraisal
(Financial & Service Impact Assessed)
Scanning (Potential Applications & Applicant identified)
Adds Financial & Service
Advises on Implementation.
Cancer Drug Approval Group
Clinical & FinancialApproval
for 12 months
Decision Communicated to Stakeholders: PCTs, TSG Chairs, Trusts, Network Boards, Network Chemo Groups
Press Release Prepared
QALY’s combine the Quantity and Quality of Life (QoL).
Applying QALYS to cost effectiveness decisions
*Ref ‘Rituximab for aggressive Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma’ NICE Technology Appraisal 65 Sep 2003
• Changes in Median overall survival benefits
• Changes in Median progression-free survival benefits
• Quality of life (utility) for stable vs. progressive disease
• Drug costs; discounts, No of cycles of drug given etc.
1. Comparing estimates of cost effectiveness submitted to the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) by different organisations: retrospective study A H Miners et al BMJ 2005;330;65