Psychoanalysis: Yesterday and Today Text: Chapter 6 Freudian Analysis Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy – Blau, Corey Time-Limited Dynamic Therapy – Strupp Imago Therapy Transactional Analysis. Upstate. Yesterday. Sigmund Freud View of human nature The unconscious Structure of personality
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Psychoanalysis:Yesterday and TodayText: Chapter 6Freudian AnalysisPsychoanalytic Psychotherapy – Blau, CoreyTime-Limited Dynamic Therapy – StruppImago TherapyTransactional Analysis
- Psychic energy
- The oral stage
- The anal stage
- The phallic stage.
- Conflicts and fixations in our early years
- Symptoms depend on the psychosexual stage and how defense mechanisms are used
- Anxiety is the core of psychopathology
- Operates largely at unconscious level.
- We develop patterns of behavior from early relationships, particularly parents
- Parents/others become internalized objects: “unconscious mental representations”
- Relationships in early years leave impressions (psychological wounds) which influence behavior later in life, esp. in close relationships
- Goal: understand how childhood relationships cause maladaptive patterns in adulthood.
- Neurotics suffer from negative parent-child relationships and they reproduce those relationships in present life (transference)
- Focus: how past relationships are manifested in present relationships
- Presenting problem: evidence of immaturity caused by childhood experience.
- Therapist focuses on client’s description of present interpersonal problems
- These problems will be expressed in “cyclical maladaptive patterns” in current life
- The therapist points out (interprets) these patterns
- Through interpretation the patient . . .
becomes aware of cyclical maladaptive pattern
understands how this pattern developed
tries out alternative ways of behaving
- the couples dialogue – mirroring, validation, empathy: used to create safe environment where deeper issues can be explored
- seeing wounded child using parent-child dialogue