Russian Minority in Latvia. UW-Eau Claire Geography 308 Prof. Zoltan Grossman. Wesley A. Sherry Spring 2005 C.E. Locale. Latitude: 57°00’ N Longitude: 25°00’ E . Irbe Strait. Gulf of Riga. Baltic Sea. Statistical Information. Population: 2,306,306 Total Area: 64,589 sq km
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Prof. Zoltan Grossman
Wesley A. Sherry
Spring 2005 C.E.
Latitude:57°00’ N Longitude:25°00’ E
Gulf of Riga
Total Area: 64,589 sq km
Latvian Official Language
Russian Spoken by Many
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
- Dominated by traders and Teutonic Knight landlords.
- Founded the city of Riga.
- Introduced Christianity.
- Exploited Latvia’s land, labor, and resources.
- Both powers battle each other over the Baltics.
- Latvia falls under the control of the Czar.
- These fears are not totally unjustified when Russia’s history of aggression is considered.
Employment of non-Latvians in Latvian SSR in 1987
PRESTIGIOUS OCCUPATIONS:Secretaries of Communist Party of Latvia 20%
Ministers and chairmen of state committees 17%
Personnel of city and district Party committee 34.8%
Personnel of the Council of Ministers 35%
Heads of local authorities 23%
Cultural sphere and arts 26.4%
NON-PRESTIGIOUS OCCUPATIONS:Industry and construction 61.9%
Communal and public services 54.7%
The table shows that Latvians held the majority of the prestigious professions, while the non-Latvians, mostly Russians, worked more of the “blue collar” jobs. This means that Latvians have less ground to stand on to argue that Russians came in and subjugated them.
- Five years residency in country as of May 4, 1990
- Legal source of income
- Command of the Latvian language
- Recitation of the national anthem
- Rudimentary knowledge of Latvian history
* Recognition that Latvia was occupied, not liberated, by the Soviet Union is mandatory
- This creates a good deal of strain upon Russian students that know little or no Latvian.
- As expected, this angers those that are ineligible since Latvia is a democracy.
- If Russia apologizes, it may alleviate some of the grievances that Latvia has against its Russian minorties.