Chapter 23. The Pesticide Dilemma. What is a Pesticide?. First-Generation Pesticides Inorganic compounds (e.g., lead, mercury) Botanicals (e.g., nicotine, pyrethrin). Pyrethrin is used against mosquitos Nicotine has been banned as pesticide since 2001.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Pyrethrin is used against mosquitos
Nicotine has been banned as pesticide since 2001
- The carbamate pesticides listed above are highly poisonous chemicals, with the exception of carbaryl
(SEVIN), which is moderately poisonous.
- All these chemicals can be absorbed through the skin, especially through cuts and scratches, so direct contact
should be avoided.
- Carbamates are highly irritating to the eyes.
LONG-TERM HEALTH HAZARDS
- Carbamates are generally not considered to be cancerous, with two exceptions. Carbaryl (SEVIN) and
carbofuran (FURADAN) can mix with other elements in the stomach to form possible cancerous chemicals.
- Some carbamates, such as carbofuran (FURADAN), have been shown to cause birth defects or reproduction
problems in laboratory animals. Further studies are required for specific compounds.
- Carbamates do not accumulate and persist in the body.
I love horsies!!!
Location of malaria
Mo money, mo money, mo money!!!
# of species exhibiting genetic resistance to pesticides
Kills most pests
New population genetically resistant
California red scale was introduced into California between 1868 and 1875, apparently on citrus seedlings from Australia. The scale insect is native to Southeast Asia but has been transported on citrus seedlings to all arid and semiarid regions of the world where citrus is grown. It occurs in all of California's citrus growing areas.
Biomagnification of DDT
Move over Bowles, that’s my line!!!
Rice Production in Indonesia
This really makes Zombies! No listen to me, they will take over the world, they already live in the oceans!!!
Estimates of Risk of Cancer from Pesticide Residue
Soylent Green is People!