Hesperia, California our setting. Materials. Tia Lola Novel Bubble map worksheet or paper for drawing the bubble map Large paper for posters Crayons or markers. Motivation. (Pre-Book) * Were any of you born in a country other than the U.S.?
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
* Were any of you born in a country other than the U.S.?
* Do any of you have family born in another country?
* I have grandparents born in Italy. It was very hard when they came. They didn’t speak English and my mom use to translate for her mom.
* Do any of you have to help your parents understand some English words?
* Have you ever felt like you didn’t belong? Have you ever felt like people are looking at you because you are different?
* We are going to read a story about a brother and sister who have family born in another country. While we read for the next few days I want you to think about how you, or someone you know, may have lives like the main characters. Pay special attention to the details in the story. I will remind you of all of these things as we read, and again at the end.
By Julia Alvarez
QAR - Question answer response. Categories: Right there, On My Own, Me and the Book
Julia Alvarez was born on March 27, 1950, in New York. Her family returned to the Dominican Republic, where Alvarez spent the first ten years of her life. Along with her sisters, Alvarez attended the American schools; in her words, she had an “American childhood” on the island.
Julia’s novels for young readers include Return to Sender, Finding Miracles, Before We Were Free, and How Tia Lola Learned to Teach. She lives in Vermont with her husband and is awriter-in-residence at Middlebury College.
* Story elements: theme, plot, setting, and characters in a story
(CST ELA 3.0-Literary Response and Analysis)
* How endings affect the story
(CST ELA 3.2- Narrative Analysis
Objective: The students will distinguish the structural features of the text and the literary terms or elements (e.g. theme, plot, setting, characters). The students will generate alternative endings to plots and identify the reason or reasons for, and the impact of the alternatives. The students will display an depth of a character in the story. Secondary objective: The students will be exposed to the issues faced by immigrant families when trying to retain their home culture and fit into their new culture, and the family dynamics that ensue for the second generation. As well as, dialogue and discuss the feelings of “in between-ness”.
* Cooperative: Create a Movie Poster for How Tia Lola Came to Visit/Stay.
Remember to include all of the story elements: characters, settings, plot, and theme
* Independent: Write a new ending for the story. Think about the characters. What would you do differently.
Questions from classmates will be addressed during share-out.
Each member of your group will be responsible for creating one character and working on each of the other story elements.
The extension will be a culminating activity in the following week.
1. Hesperia, Ca. Digital Image. Hesperia Joshua Tree. Cfiles 12925, n.d.
Web. 25 July 2011< http://www.city-data.com/picfiles>
4. How Tia Lola Comes to Visit/Stay Book Cover. Digital Image. tia_lola_stays.jpg. n.d.
Web. 24 July 2011
4. Alvaraz, Julia. How Tia Lola Came to Visit/Stay. New York, NY: Random House, 2001. Print
6. Julia Alvarez. Digital Image. Julia Alvarez Bio. n.d.
Web. 23 July 2011 < http://www.enotes.com/Julia-Alvarez-Salem>
14. Vermont. Digital Image. Purple House, Rural Farm. Purple House, Rural Farm. 2008
Web. 24 July 2011
15. New York Images. Digital Image. Yankee Stadium, Hudson River. 2008
Web. 23 July 2011 http://www.camphalfblood.wikia.com
16. Empire State Building. Video. In Front of the Empire State Building. Youtube. Viaaipans. Oct. 2006
Web. 23 July 20011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftOjJxFh_tl
17. Dominican Republic Images. Digital Image. Beach, House. 2006
Web. 25 July 2011 < http://www.atpm.com>
18. Hispaniola. Digital Image. Map of Hispaniola. Hispaniola in America.jpg. 2004
Web. 26 July 2011 http://www.hispanola.com