Race #4. 1) The Colonists and British Parliament disagreed over how the colonists should be _______________. governed. 2) Parliament believed it had the right to tax the colonies, while colonists believed they should not be taxed because they had ____ _____________ in Parliament.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1) The Colonists and British Parliament disagreed over how the colonists should be _______________.
2) Parliament believed it had the right to tax the colonies, while colonists believed they should not be taxed because they had ____ _____________ in Parliament.
3) _________ ____________ provided military leadership by serving as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army. He also was the first president of the United States of America.
4) _________ __________ provided political leadership by expressing the reasons for colonial independence from Great Britain when he wrote the Declaration of Independence.
5) ___________ __________ inspired patriots from other colonies when he spoke out against taxation without representation by saying “…give me liberty or give me death.”
6) _________ _________ , an enslaved African American from Virginia, served in the Continental Army and successfully requested his freedom after the war.
9) __________ _________ fought on both sides hoping to be free once the war was over.
10) _________ _________ fought alongside the Virginia patriots, while others fought with the British.
11) The Battle of _________ ________ was the first land battle of the American Revolution fought in Virginia. The American victory forced the British colonial governor to flee the City of Norfolk.
12) ________ ________ rode on horseback through the backwoods of Virginia to Charlottesville to warn Thomas Jefferson, then the governor of Virginia, that the British were coming to arrest him and members of the General Assembly.
13) The American Victory at ___________ resulted in the surrender of the British army, which led to the end of the war.
14) Who is referred to as the “Father of the Constitution?” He was a Virginian, who believed in the importance of having a United States Constitution. He kept detailed notes during the Constitutional Convention.
16) The Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom states that all people should be free to worship as they please. Who wrote this document?
18) The ___________ ___________ is the legislative branch of the Virginia Government that makes state laws. It is divided into two parts called ________ and _________.
Senate and House of Delegates
19) The ________ heads the executive branch of the state government. The executive branch makes sure that state laws are carried out.
20) The ________ ________ is the state’s court system. This branch decides cases about people accused of breaking the law and whether or not a law agrees with Virginia's Constitution.
21) After the American Revolution, many Virginians moved ________ and to the deep _____ in search of better farmland and new opportunities.
19) Settlers crossed the Appalachian Mountains through the ___________ ______ as they migrated to new lands in the west.
22) The economy in the northern part of the United States was more ____________, while in the southern part, it was __________ and relied more on slave labor.
23) Northern states wanted the new states created out the western territories to be “________ _________,” while the southern states wanted the new states to be “_______ _________.”
24) _________ __________ led a revolt against plantation owners in Virginia.
25) _________ __________ supported a secret route that escaped enslaved African Americans took; it became known as the “Underground Railroad.”
26) ________ ________ led a raid on the United States Armory at Harpers Ferry, Virginia.
27) After Abraham Lincoln was elected president, many southern states ________ from the Union and formed the “Confederate States of America.”
28) Conflict grew between the eastern and western counties of Virginia that relied on slavery and the western counties that did not favor slavery. This disagreement led to the formation of which state?
29) The ______ _________ ___ ____ ______ was the first major clash of the Civil War.
30) ___________ ________ __ ________, defeated Union troops at Fredericksburg, Virginia.
32) Richmond fell to General _____ __ _____ and was burned near the end of the war.
33) The Civil War ended at ___________ _______ _______where Confederate general Robert E. Lee surrendered his army to Union general Ulysses S. Grant on April 1865.